Bye-bye windows?
Hi all, getting pretty fed up with Windows 10, constant updating/rebooting, and generally being a bitch! Considering switching the the KODIbuntu packaged setup. I'm wondering if it's a trade off (as most things) or really a apples to apples swap? I'm running a Corei7 w/16GB ram and a Nvidia GTX1080 video card. Currently my output is basically 4k-UHD and passthru audio up to Atmos. Don't use the box for anything other than Kodi, so if I don't loose functionality, I'm likely to kick the windows can down the road.
Thoughts?
What exactly is holding you to a full OS?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
ignorance... educate me?
FYI: that last available KodiBuntu setup is based on Lubuntu 14.04 (thus from 2014), so support will end relatively soon. You could upgrade it, but that will require some basic Linux knowledge. Also, there will be no new KodiBuntu release.

But installing Kodi onto your typical Ubuntu LTS system (16.04 currently) should not be a problem if you follow the installation rules.

PS: One more problem: For now, Nvidia still does not support 10bit videos on Linux. It only does 8-bit. Call it a company decision.
(2018-01-15, 18:39)bikesquid Wrote: ignorance... educate me?
Switching OSes is quite an investment, in terms of time and learning curve. 

I've had friends that tried Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mint, Puppy Linux and never looked back, happy to readjust to a different desktop and occasionally type in some archane sudo witchcraft to get minor tweaks working properly. 

Similarly, I've known a few that gave Linux a try out of frustration of Windows8, complained bitterly that it wasn't as familiar to them as XP (actually, their complaints were about the OS rather than their lack of experience or patience at investigating resolutions).

If you're after a HTPC system that runs hooked up to a TV and you don't bother with desktop stuff, Linux is possibly your way to go but with the caveat that you may struggle with initial setup stuff, finding yourself in unfamiliar territory until all the teething problems are ironed out.  If you're willing to take that on the chin, then by all means go for it.  Just that in my experience, I've found people trying to adopt a new OS because they want to leave their other often doesn't work out.

YMMV.  Good luck and kudos to you if you do plump for it.

(nb: Linux is also subject to frequent updates; they're just not rammed down your throat as hard)
(2018-01-15, 19:34)Preacher Wrote:
(2018-01-15, 18:39)bikesquid Wrote: ignorance... educate me?
Switching OSes is quite an investment, in terms of time and learning curve. 

I've had friends that tried Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mint, Puppy Linux and never looked back, happy to readjust to a different desktop and occasionally type in some archane sudo witchcraft to get minor tweaks working properly. 

Similarly, I've known a few that gave Linux a try out of frustration of Windows8, complained bitterly that it wasn't as familiar to them as XP (actually, their complaints were about the OS rather than their lack of experience or patience at investigating resolutions).

If you're after a HTPC system that runs hooked up to a TV and you don't bother with desktop stuff, Linux is possibly your way to go but with the caveat that you may struggle with initial setup stuff, finding yourself in unfamiliar territory until all the teething problems are ironed out.  If you're willing to take that on the chin, then by all means go for it.  Just that in my experience, I've found people trying to adopt a new OS because they want to leave their other often doesn't work out.

YMMV.  Good luck and kudos to you if you do plump for it.

(nb: Linux is also subject to frequent updates; they're just not rammed down your throat as hard)  
Thanks for the thoughts, appreciate it! In my case, I've setup Ubuntu before to revitalize a laptop that was getting Sslloowwwww under windows, improved performance, but not enough to keep the machine for long. so I understand that part of the switch. I bought a Nvidia Shield to try and use for the kodi setup, but found the 4k/60Hz UHD was impossible to get working, but had no problems with the 'androidness' of it. In the closet it sits... So OS's don't bother me much, and since I'm not planning on using it for ANYTHING other than Kodi and playing content I already have I'm not worried about desktop, look and feel, etc as long as my arctic zephyr 10' interface works with my remote I'm fat and happy (I think).

The 10bit exclusion zone in Linux is more a problem for me... lots and lots of 10bit x265 files I must play!
Why not try Libreelec from a usb drive and see if you like it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-15, 21:19)nickr Wrote: Why not try Libreelec from a usb drive and see if you like it?
 Great Suggestion @nickr . At the moment I'm concerned about the info provided by @Klojum that Nvidia isn't supporting 10bit video and I've got about a metric tonne of x265 10bit video to watch... other than that looks like it's a great solution.
(2018-01-15, 18:19)bikesquid Wrote: Don't use the box for anything other than Kodi, so if I don't loose functionality, I'm likely to kick the windows can down the road.
Thoughts?

If that's the case, and you're considering going the linux route, I'd strongly suggest installing Lubuntu. It's a very lightweight linux distro, based on the Ubuntu core, but without all the bells and whistles. Then install Kodi from the PPA.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Redbox | NEWSnet | NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
I am no expert in these things, but your system looks pretty grunty, so HEVC 10 bit may decode OK in software on linux. Libreelec is a no pain way to find out before you irretrievably do something to your hard drive.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-15, 21:34)bikesquid Wrote: At the moment I'm concerned about the info provided by @Klojum that Nvidia isn't supporting 10bit video
I have a Nvidia GT1030 in my office machine, and it's a multiboot machine: Win10 / Ubuntu 16.04 / LibreELEC 8.x / LibreELEC 9.x. Only Windows has the full drivers for the Nvidia card. Right now, LibreELEC can only do 8bit hevc hw-acceleration (upto 8K, that works), 10bit will be done by the CPU.

But also the Nvidia support in LibreELEC could end now that Nvidia ditched VDPAU support, and there is no successor yet. Nvidia + 10bit video in Linux seems possible with CUVID afaik, but none of the Kodi/LibreELEC developers are willing to enter that snakepit. MPV seems to be able to do it. Perhaps use it as a external player?
If you don't play games on that PC id say pull the trigger, if you do i'd do a dual boot and keep windows 10 around. 

Linux is far more usable now via the gui although if you don't want to do some learning and don't mind using/learning the command line; In my opinion it's a no brainer as Linux is super stable and powerful but since your system seems to be heavily biased towards windows for full utilization of your hardware (for now) again dual boot and keep a get out of jail card for yourself.

As said above you could run a minimal linux install just for Kodi off minimal disk space or a usb drive which would give you a taste without the full commitment of a switch, id heavily recommend linux as a platform for anything other than games as stability alone is amazing. Linux is great to learn and you'll be amazed at the flexability compared to windows once you get into it - hope you give it a go, let us know how it goes Smile
correct me if im wrong but i was told linux currently doesnt do 4k.... 

or was it just hdr thats not supported?

maybe im confusing the two....

im sort of in a similar situation.. looking to make the switch from android and would like something of a gaming/kodi 4k solution. 

so far steamos/kodi works for HD but not sure how to go about getting the 4k resolution...
1. Get a 4k TV.
have one... 

2. ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bye-bye windows?0