• 12(current)
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD
(2021-10-31, 13:36)Hitcher Wrote: Here's a sample of that part -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1182gl5newp64u...s.mkv?dl=0

Dropout occurs at about 12 seconds.
I tested this sample in Windows 11 with Kodi 19.3 and am also getting the audio dropout around the 12 seconds mark.

Thank you for taking the time to make and post this clip.  It's appreciated and will hopefully help others in testing.
Kodi 19.3 seems to have improved the dropout problem with high bitrate Dolby TrueHD. The train scene in Zootopia is now working where it once dropped out.(the geezers firing out steam in the snow)

However during that same scene it is now dropping out in places where it did not previously. Only a couple of occasions and much more subtle. It is a vast improvement but still not perfect.
(2021-10-30, 21:26)jogal Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 19:50)Aemstel Wrote: This issue is clearly not platform-specific, is it? Maybe it's a better idea to move this thread to the "OS independant/ other" subforum instead of creating separate threads for all platforms?

If I understand correctly, what @jjd-uk is trying to say is perhaps @Deam's issue is different from this one, although the effect is similar and it may not have any relationship. So it is better to open a specific thread in Windows.

Note that this patch (the one that is common on all platforms) has also been applied to LibreELEC and CoreELEC distributions and no one has reported any problems: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/truehd-...te/7569/46 (AFAIK).

Android still has some problem but it is not with the audio but video stuttering.

Until proven otherwise the main issue of audio dropouts in TrueHD Atmos due to frames > 2560 bytes is fully 100% resolved.

Of course people can continue to have audio dropout issues for other reasons: e.g. buffering, lack of bandwidth, corrupted files, bad RAM, bad HDMI cables....

Problem is present running CoreElec Stable 19.3. It seems to have improved the dropout problem with high bitrate Dolby TrueHD. The train scene in Zootopia is now working where it once dropped out.(the geezers firing out steam in the snow)

However during that same scene it is now dropping out in places where it did not previously (like micro dropouts) throughout the movie but much more subtle. It is a vast improvement but still not perfect.

Also during ATMOS movies it seems that there is a much more pronounced video stutter than I've ever noticed before, a bit like frame skipping. Even in movies that didn't have ATMOS audio dropouts, for example watching Coco there were about a dozen occasions were the video stuttered/frame skip.
(2021-11-09, 15:40)mataus19 Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 21:26)jogal Wrote:
(2021-10-30, 19:50)Aemstel Wrote: This issue is clearly not platform-specific, is it? Maybe it's a better idea to move this thread to the "OS independant/ other" subforum instead of creating separate threads for all platforms?

If I understand correctly, what @jjd-uk is trying to say is perhaps @Deam's issue is different from this one, although the effect is similar and it may not have any relationship. So it is better to open a specific thread in Windows.

Note that this patch (the one that is common on all platforms) has also been applied to LibreELEC and CoreELEC distributions and no one has reported any problems: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/truehd-...te/7569/46 (AFAIK).

Android still has some problem but it is not with the audio but video stuttering.

Until proven otherwise the main issue of audio dropouts in TrueHD Atmos due to frames > 2560 bytes is fully 100% resolved.

Of course people can continue to have audio dropout issues for other reasons: e.g. buffering, lack of bandwidth, corrupted files, bad RAM, bad HDMI cables....

Problem is present running CoreElec Stable 19.3. It seems to have improved the dropout problem with high bitrate Dolby TrueHD. The train scene in Zootopia is now working where it once dropped out.(the geezers firing out steam in the snow)

However during that same scene it is now dropping out in places where it did not previously (like micro dropouts) throughout the movie but much more subtle. It is a vast improvement but still not perfect.

Also during ATMOS movies it seems that there is a much more pronounced video stutter than I've ever noticed before, a bit like frame skipping. Even in movies that didn't have ATMOS audio dropouts, for example watching Coco there were about a dozen occasions were the video stuttered/frame skip.
this is even worse on 19.3 with shield tv pro

i just tried to play a movie rip with ATMOs on my shield tv pro it's worked fine in the past. but with 19.3 the audio keeps flicking on and off constantly i'm using atmos passthrough to my yamaha receiver. so i downgraded to 19.2 and it played straight away no problems!

Thanks for that.  FWIW, playing that directly from Dropbox in Firefox I hear the dropout somewhere between 10 and 12 seconds. Is FF using ffmpeg, perhaps?
(2021-11-16, 16:15)graham-h Wrote:

Thanks for that.  FWIW, playing that directly from Dropbox in Firefox I hear the dropout somewhere between 10 and 12 seconds. Is FF using ffmpeg, perhaps?
Can we clarify this? You are playing the clip through firefox and getting Atmos?

EDIT: Well this is funny - if the MKV itself a recording of the playback showing the dropout, or a section cut out of the original mpeg. 

Because when I download and play on my Windows PC I can't even get sound (on my non Kodi computer), but do get the dropout in Edge when playing back.
Did some more Windows 11 tests with the Zootopia sample:

Kodi 19.3, passthrough audio, Atmos: audio dropouts at around 12 seconds.
MPC-BE, passthrough audio, Atmos: no dropouts. plays smoothly.
VLC, no passthrough audio, stereo: no dropouts. plays smoothly.
(2021-11-19, 17:37)Aemstel Wrote: Did some more Windows 11 tests with the Zootopia sample:

Finally! The breakthrough we've all been waiting for.  You narrowed it down to a problem....with Kodi.  This thread is going to end up with a mod warning slapped on it just like Jogal's stickied thread.  How do you guys expect the developers to garner any useful feedback from these threads when you post pages and pages of useless off-topic dross?  If I were them, I'd have stopped reading well before now, they've probably done just that.
(2021-11-19, 21:26)beeswax Wrote:
(2021-11-19, 17:37)Aemstel Wrote: Did some more Windows 11 tests with the Zootopia sample:

Finally! The breakthrough we've all been waiting for.  You narrowed it down to a problem....with Kodi.  This thread is going to end up with a mod warning slapped on it just like Jogal's stickied thread.  How do you guys expect the developers to garner any useful feedback from these threads when you post pages and pages of useless off-topic dross?  If I were them, I'd have stopped reading well before now, they've probably done just that.
Well the posts above mine suggested the video itself was at fault and it is not a Kodi problem. I'm just trying to point out that the video probably is fine and it IS a kodi problem. I'm very sorry if that upsets you.

I don't really care that much if they fix this issue, I just thought I'd take the time to do these tests and add a bit of info. We are not programmers or devs. We are just users trying to get an issue under the attention of the devs, so that they maybe find it worth to investigate further.

I really find you have to be quite careful and technically knowledgeable when saying anything on this forum about problems with Kodi. So I suppose you're right, and the devs have moved on.
(2021-11-19, 21:55)Aemstel Wrote:
(2021-11-19, 21:26)beeswax Wrote:

Well the posts above mine suggested the video itself was at fault and it is not a Kodi problem. I'm just trying to point out that the video probably is fine and it IS a kodi problem. I'm very sorry if that upsets you.

I don't really care that much if they fix this issue, I just thought I'd take the time to do these tests and add a bit of info. We are not programmers or devs. We are just users trying to get an issue under the attention of the devs, so that they maybe find it worth to investigate further.

I really find you have to be quite careful and technically knowledgeable when saying anything on this forum about problems with Kodi. So I suppose you're right, and the devs have moved on.
No - this is great.  My post was a question, not a statement.  Because I have no idea how the prior poster could say there was an issue with the file playing it through dropbox (as there is no Atmos passthrough on Windows desktop playing it like that through Edge), yet oddly there was a dropout while playing in Dropbox directly though the browser.  

Since that time, I did try in on my Kodi 17.7 with DS Player and no dropout.

We are just trying to identify and focus on specific issues. The main issue is this is in the Android forum and so perhaps you can post this in the Windows thread I made - would be good to pool the data.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3072815
@jogal Does this mean that we will also see a new build for android soon. In this case I will stop testing and wait for the new build.

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
This is a separate issue from stuttering. There will be a new build that includes it but it has no positive or negative effect on the stuttering.

EDIT: In fact, latest Android build using RAW path already fixes it.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD0