Nodes 'Content' and classical music customisation
I don't quite understand what 'content' means when creating custom nodes? There are only three choices 'artist' 'album' 'song'. I want to create a node that displays my 'composer' tag and then when I click on a composer it displays my 'work' tag and then if I click on the 'work' it displays my 'date recorded' tag 'orchestra' [if tag has a value] 'soloist' [if tag has value] 'conductor' [if tag has value]. Given that for most works there are only be a few possible recordings I'd prefer that each of these were displayed on a separate line rather than scrolling so when I click on work 'The Noon Witch B196' I get the following ordered according to 'recording date':

Concertgebouw Orchestra
Nikolaus Harnoncourt

[etc.]

Is it possible to customise to this point? I suppose if instead of separate lines it just scrolled across one line that would be OK, but separate lines would be better. I don't think I quite understand what 'content' means and why it's limited to 'artist' 'album' 'song'...

Thanks everyone
Content tells Kodi the type of items that need to be displayed in the GUI, as things like the available sorting options may depend on the Content type.
(2018-01-19, 03:38)Tstrbl Wrote: I want to create a node that displays my 'composer' tag and then when I click on a composer it displays my 'work' tag and then if I click on the 'work' it displays my 'date recorded' tag 'orchestra' [if tag has a value] 'soloist' [if tag has value] 'conductor' [if tag has value].

Is it possible to customise to this point?

Short answer is sorry no, custom nodes are not that advanced.

You can create a (content = "artists") node that lists say classcial composers, click on the composer name and you see the usual albums node filtered to show the albums with music by that composer.
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I imagined that would be the case. If I learnt more, would there be a way to do it or would it involve a significant amount of work? Is there anywhere I can learn how Kodi builds the artist display format, by that I mean the way it lists the album tag when you click on an artist then the songs when you click on an album etc. Where is the formatting for all of that stored. Apologies if this is a foolish question.
Kodi could be redesigned to do the things you ask, but it is lots of work.  I have no idea on your skills as to how much learning would be involved for you, but I can say that understanding how Kodi works (from reading the code and running debug) can be a mountain to  climb. Then again that is what the current devs have all done, and new contributors prepared to do that too are welcome.

But I could be misunderstanding you, maybe looking at editing the skin could give you some satisfaction. There is no simple place where "formatting is stored", but that probably comes nearest to what you are asking. The skin is the way you change what each screen looks like e.g. how information is arranged. So you could change it to show the composer(s) of a song say. Search "skinning" for ideas about that

Then again what "happens when you click on an artist", library navigation, is part of core C++ code, and you would need to explore that in detail.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nodes 'Content' and classical music customisation0