Limit addon functionality when used with banned plugins
I'm developing a script that enhances the functionality of video plugins, and I'm considering including an anti-piracy feature that limits its function when used with banned add-ons.

Has anyone done something similar?  If so, do you have a list of addon ids that you could share?

Or does this community think that would be too petty and/or not worth the time?
It was tried not too long ago at a different site and eventually made its way here. After much debate the team came to the agreement that it is not something that is suitable for our site. Best to leave that alone in all honesty.

With that being said - thank you for asking in advance. Looking forward to seeing what functionality the add-on you are developing brings to the community.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Thanks for the input, you convinced me to leave out that feature. My beta just released (here) and I really hope the addon doesn't encourage use of pirated content, but I suppose it's better to have completely open software.
That's the key point and distinction - whilst there is some sympathy for the idea to try and actively do something about the piracy add-ons, at the end of the day the whole idea of FOSS software like Kodi is that users can make their own choices and decisions on what they use and how they use it. We would of course rather that they didn't use it for illegal activities and we certainly do not support them in doing so, but if they make the informed choice to do so that's up to them.

What we do object to is when users get railroaded into such things by builds or whatever which don't allow for informed choice, and of course by all the parasites out there who deliberately spread the misinformation of Kodi's sole purpose being for such activities.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Limit addon functionality when used with banned plugins0