Kodi 17 / Windows 10 - video freezes after monitor sleep
Hi,

I have rather new Win10 installation (clean) and since using Kodi on Windows 10 I have had the same issue coming up.
When I am playing a video and putting it on pause, leaving the computer for a while (could be a couple of minutes or hours) and after I return the video will be frozen but the controls still work, so I can close Kodi gracefully with pressing "S" and Enter.

My setup has two monitors one 4K and one Full HD on which I normally use Kodi and at first I suspected that the graphics card was not strong enough (GeForce GT 1030) so I put in another one (same) so that each monitor had own card but this didn't change a thing; I have since exchanged the two GT1030 card for one GTX1050ti where the same thing happens.

Looking at the kodi.log I don't decode anything usefull if someone could please be so nice and help me resolve this issue as it is rather annoying to restart Kodi each time I step away from the computer.

Snippet from kodi.log for an example. I have now enabled debug logging and will post full debug log as soon as the issue occurs again.
Code:
19:48:59.682 T:12548  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::CDropControl: calculated diff time: 41708
19:56:02.790 T:12548 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
21:11:19.150 T:10712   ERROR: CRenderSystemDX::FinishCommandList - Failed to finish command queue.
21:12:37.424 T:10712   ERROR: Previous line repeats 7879 times.
21:12:37.424 T:10712  NOTICE: Storing total System Uptime

Thanks!
Snippets don't show much, and usually leads one into the wrong conclusion anyway, so >full debug log requested. Are you multi-tasking two monitors at the same time (same or diff res?) With any eye towards graphic memory, you might run some desktop gadgets to check the speed and memory health. Switch out any screen savers on both windows and Kodi.
Full debugging log: https://pastebin.com/tPcACScc
Also I have Windows screen saver set to none after 1 minute so it will blank the screen and I have set screen to go to sleep after 10 minutes, computer never goes to sleep.
In Kodi I have under Power saving Sleep/Shutdown all set on Off.
Noting in the log Kodi 17.4 and I'm wondering if you could update to Kodi 17.6 (there was a few fixes).

Generic PnP Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, adapter 0.
SyncMaster SB300_S23B300B (Digital) on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, adapter 1.

Are you multi-tasking two monitors at the same time ? (duplicate mode or extended?)

21:37:29.653 T:7164   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScreensaverActivated from xbmc

This seems to indicate some screen saver, then follwoing this.

21:44:28.868 T:9300   DEBUG: DXGI_STATUS_OCCLUDED
21:44:31.359 T:9300   ERROR: CRenderSystemDX::FinishCommandList - Failed to finish command queue.
21:44:35.326 T:9300   ERROR: Previous line repeats 5962 times.

Try not to jump out of Kodi and engangeother tasks when posting a log.

Focus switched to process C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Focus switched to process C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

It's at this point we see errors. deactive all screen savers in both wndows and Kodi (if Kodi screen saver is already off, switch to dim). I'd be tempted to switch directly up and try a portable Leia install, and see if the bug followed you. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable be aware you must always start portable mode with the -p switch (avoid those quick launch windows in the menu). Kodi wasn't designed well for multi-tasking, serendipity enters this equation and I'd love to see a standard 1920x1080 resolution desktop to see if you have run into something that has already been stomped in later iterations.
I am multitasking two monitors / extended.

In Windows I don't have any screensaver enabled only the sleep function for the monitor.

In Kodi I have under screensaver:
Mode: dim
Dim level: 20%
Wait time: 3min
Use visualization if playing audio: Enabled

Will try to update to new version and report back.

Thanks!
New debug log: https://pastebin.com/Xa4su2Hg
same issue

Will now try portable and report back.
The last debug log shows Selected \\.\DISPLAY2 output. an attempt to run Resolution 1920x1080@ 50.00 on one display and then reverts to 60 cycles. It's becoming more apparent that two displays are not being handled well by the software. For the purposes of this issue, could you test for the problem with only one display at the workbench resolution of 1920x1080x60
At this moment while running Portable for the last day it seems the issue is non apparent.

Will continue using portable and will report back should the issue come up again.

Thanks for all your help until now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 / Windows 10 - video freezes after monitor sleep0