How does Kodi send TrueHD streams over SPDIF?
I have an old system without HDMI. PC to pre-pro is via optical (Toslink). With DTS-HD MA I could uncheck the DTS "sub-track" in makeMKV and play the mkv file getting the DTS core via optical. With TrueHD this was not possible. I had to check the "sub-track" as TrueHD did not incorporate a DD "sub-track". I assumed makeMKV presented the separate DD track as a TrueHD sub-track. At some point I discovered that I was getting a DD bitstream via optical even if I left the DD sub-track unchecked.

If I am correct this only applies only to normal TrueHD tracks. Atmos tracks are not bitstreamed as DD.

So, if TrueHD does not incorporate a DD core, how does Kodi bitstream a DD track?
Why is that not so with Atmos TrueHD tracks?
SPDIF is not capable of carrying any type of TrueHD or Atmos track, it will only ever handle Dolby Digital.

If a file has a TrueHD audio track, then with the right settings Kodi will decode it to LPCM and then re-encode it to Dolby Digital, this process is known as transcoding and there's an option for this in the settings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does Kodi send TrueHD streams over SPDIF?0