Looking for an upgrade from a Acer Revo 3610 or a fix for my POS?
Sad 
Hi all,

My Revo 3610 box is dying a painful death. Can anyone suggest a decent replacement with the following:
Windows 10
Optical output
HDMI

Something used is fine. Just want newer than this with a bit more power.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a reason for this box, with a clean install to be pegged at 100% cpu usage on KODI? I've already put in an SSD but am not having any luck thus far.
KODI running on...
Acer Aspire Revo | 2 x iPad Mini
HP Touchsmart | AppleTV | Raspberry Pi
Check that you have allocated enough video RAM in the bios
It's the same as the 3600, except it has a better CPU. Should be more than good and work fine with the latest LibreELEC.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=326222
This is what confuses me. It worked fine all along. Most of the video I watch is in 720p. Nothings really changed with the video formats since I started with this pc 7 years or so ago. But it seems to constantly get slower. There is only one piece of additional software running on it, Prismatik (unofficial) (which requires Windows), which runs the Lightpack backlight system I have.

Video gets choppy, sound goes funny (imagine a speaker on a rope swinging by your ear so it get louder, then quiet, louder then quiet) until you pause for a few seconds for it to catch up. Just poor overall performance.

She only has 2 gigs of ram, but when viewing the Task Manager last night the ram was barely in use, however CPU was pegged at 100%.

The os is Windows 10... maybe I should go back to 7?? Any thoughts on that helping?

Can LibreELEC run the  Lightpack? I see Ubuntu installers for the official software at https://lightpack.tv/downloads.php
KODI running on...
I don't think Win10 is to blame, but you could try downloading drivers from Nvidia: In the dropdown boxes choose:  Geforce, GeForce 9M Series (Notebooks), Windows 10 64-bit.

Hyperion, which LE supports (in the repo) supposedly supports lightpack. Googling "Hyperion Lightpack" will probably lead you in the right direction.

The hardware itself is more than enough to run Kodi.
I use one of these as a media server and think they are great little machines.  Personally I think W10 is the issue here.  W10 has so many processes running in the background I doubt the little Revo is keeping up.  I'd roll it back to W7 and see what happens or you could test it quickly by booting it with Lubuntu, I bet the CPU usage will drop.  Mine had an issue with the fan running constantly at full speed, it turns out that the thermal paste between the CPU/GPU and the heatsink had dried out, a 99p tube of Arctic Silver off eBay quickly sorted that.

I'd genuinely consider a lightweight Linux distro like Lubuntu or Xubuntu for this or, as suggested, LibreELEC.  They should all happily talk to your lightpack.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I'm going to try OpenELEC this weekend on a thumb drive. Hopefully that runs fast enough to keep me from buying a new computer!  Confused
KODI running on...
(2018-01-24, 01:39)rene Wrote: I'm going to try OpenELEC this weekend on a thumb drive. Hopefully that runs fast enough to keep me from buying a new computer!  Confused

I think most of us would recommend LibreElec over OpenElec now. (LibreElec forked from OpenElec a couple of years ago and seems to have a much larger developer base, and has - to all intents and purposes - replace OpenElec)
(2018-01-24, 01:41)noggin Wrote:
(2018-01-24, 01:39)rene Wrote: I'm going to try OpenELEC this weekend on a thumb drive. Hopefully that runs fast enough to keep me from buying a new computer!  Confused

I think most of us would recommend LibreElec over OpenElec now. (LibreElec forked from OpenElec a couple of years ago and seems to have a much larger developer base, and has - to all intents and purposes - replace OpenElec) 
 Oops... typo on my part. I'm going to try LibreElec this weekend.
As I was typing it I was thinking to myself, "Weren't there two es together in the name of this distro?"
KODI running on...
That weekend upgrade was a long process! lol

I did so last night and everything is playing perfectly. But my ir receiver doesn't seem to be passing commands to Kodi. Time to start another thread.

Rene
KODI running on...
Sad 
After spending 5 hours trying to get my Harmony remote and mce_usb IR receiver to play nice with LibreElec, I've started reinstalling Windows 7. Maybe, just maybe, a fresh install of that will work nicely and not stutter on every video I throw at it.

My Harmony (which is set up as a MCE Keyboard device) wouldn't do a thing. Not a response in LibreElec. I read and read, tried this and that, and finally, I managed to get LibreElec to register the button presses. Unfortunately each press ended up being two in LibreElec and it was still useless. After reading and digging for another hour I have finally thrown in the towel. LibreElec was so snappy, the wife was so excited that we could watch movies fluidly again.

Wish us luck with Windows 7... Once it eventually gets installed. Sleepy
KODI running on...
(2018-09-29, 14:51)rene Wrote: After spending 5 hours trying to get my Harmony remote and mce_usb IR receiver to play nice with LibreElec, I've started reinstalling Windows 7. Maybe, just maybe, a fresh install of that will work nicely and not stutter on every video I throw at it.

My Harmony (which is set up as a MCE Keyboard device) wouldn't do a thing. Not a response in LibreElec. I read and read, tried this and that, and finally, I managed to get LibreElec to register the button presses. Unfortunately each press ended up being two in LibreElec and it was still useless. After reading and digging for another hour I have finally thrown in the towel. LibreElec was so snappy, the wife was so excited that we could watch movies fluidly again.

Wish us luck with Windows 7... Once it eventually gets installed. Sleepy
I've never managed to get mce keyboard / harmony working properly in openelec / libreelec, but never had an issue using a 'Microsoft Windows Media Center SE' profile.
All is great in the KODI world with my Windows 7 install... except one little thing, and only new hardware will solve this for me. h.265. Doh!  A Vero 4K + may be in my future!
KODI running on...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for an upgrade from a Acer Revo 3610 or a fix for my POS?0