• 3(current)
XBOX H265 4k very Slow
Hi.  This is the only thread I see in relation to HEVC, h265 - so if i'm in the wrong place I am sorry.  Currently I am running the Feb 10 Alpha1 on Xbox One (normal version).
HEVC h265 1080p used to work on previous builds, but the videos were stuttering constantly.  It was software decoding only, as per the thread, it appears hw acceleration was disabled due to crashing.
Now when I run on the Feb 10th Alpha1, it doesn't even show the video on the screen.  Subtitles show, and audio plays, but no video.  It also stops me from viewing any other hevc (i.e. h264) unless I reload Kodi.  Then I can see those videos again.

My question is - should we expect to see normal 1080p HEVC h265 on Xbox One (non-S or X) working at some point?  With HW Acceleration?  Or no?  If No, would it work on an S or X ?

Any info on this would be appreciated.  Trying to get Xbox Kodi to be my new platform to replace all others...
I only got black screen during my quick test on a 4k hevc on Xbox One X, h264 and even h265 1080p afterwards worked I think.
Anyway, I’d say there’s a bug in the implementation ofbHW acceleration of HEVC that Microsoft/AMD need to fix. AMD hw in our boxes supports hw acceleration and I would be very surprised if that wouldn’t work eventually. This feature is used by other media players as well and Microsoft should be motivated to get it running. Kodi developers will use it as soon as the implementation works for sure.
Without a Debug Log it's not possible to get figure out what's going wrong
Wrote about this in the xbox one discussion thread. Before latest update h.265 video would play, but too slow and out of sync with audio. Tried both 10 bit and non 10 bit h.265, all 1080p, with the same result. After latest update the video does not play, only black screen. Audio and subs play. 
I have not had problems playing other video files afterwards like some others are reporting. Going back to h.264 seems to work fine without having to restart kodi. Can get a log later if anyone wants to have a look.
(2018-02-12, 10:31)bo1e Wrote: Can get a log later if anyone wants to have a look.

You must always provide a Debug Log if you have an issue.
Is there any way to get a build that restores the hardware acceleration, but with a popup dialog for HEVC encoded material -- "Experimental. May crash your XBOX!"

With that, we can very quickly figure out exactly which videos crash etc.
No
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
New update today (20180212). HEVC video is back, in slow motion and with occational freezes, like before the previous update.
My Xbox one x plays 1080p HEVC 10bit perfectly and my OG Xbox one stutters and audio out of sync. Guess DXVA is disabled even if you select to use it.

Anybody got the same result with an Xbox one x and Xbox one OG/S
As far as I can understand logs DXVA isn't working on OG XONE.
DVXA decoder is closed because it couldn't find "input/output format combination".
Then video is being decoded by FFmpeg.

Same video in VLC is working well. On Kodi video is slower than audio.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/SXzF38Z26p/
OG xbone same as maker3 reported, vlc plays back the clip flawlessly, kodi audio is fine but video lags behind further and further. looks like it's trying t use software decoder

edit: from a bit of reading around I'm going to assume that vlc just uses a different fork of ffmpeg to vlc and that the fork kodi uses will get better main10 implementation down the line
(2018-02-23, 20:03)maker3 Wrote: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/SXzF38Z26p/

OG XONE has no hw HEVC decoder.
(2018-02-24, 11:09)afedchin Wrote: OG XONE has no hw HEVC decoder.
 I don't know how Microsoft did it, but definitely there is some HEVC acceleration on OG Xbox. Maybe combined hw+sw decoding.

Firmware update released 5th June 2015 added support for 10-bit HEVC, OS version: 6.2.12998.0 (xb_rel_1506.150601-2200).
It was one year before One S  announcement, so it must be OG.

Official release note:
https://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one/...37f22aa8c8

It looks like VLC can use it, so it isn't Netflix exclusive.
(2018-02-24, 16:08)maker3 Wrote:
(2018-02-24, 11:09)afedchin Wrote: OG XONE has no hw HEVC decoder.
 I don't know how Microsoft did it, but definitely there is some HEVC acceleration on OG Xbox. Maybe combined hw+sw decoding.

Firmware update released 5th June 2015 added support for 10-bit HEVC, OS version: 6.2.12998.0 (xb_rel_1506.150601-2200).
It was one year before One S  announcement, so it must be OG.

Official release note:
https://support.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one/...37f22aa8c8

It looks like VLC can use it, so it isn't Netflix exclusive.

That will most likely be software decode of 1080p hevc.
So it's much more efficient than FFmpeg.
It would be desirable to use built-in codec instead of FFmpeg for HEVC decoding
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H265 4k very Slow0