v17 MKA 4.0 LPCM playback - center speaker present anyway
Hi folks,

I have an issue with a MKA file containing 4.0 LPCM - it plays as 5.0 with an added center channel on my Yamaha AV-Receiver. I set it to Pure Direct Mode to eliminate the chance that the A/V receiver is doing kind of upmixing so my clue is that Kodi is adding the 5th channel by kind of upmixing. However, I switched off any kind of upmixing in Kodi. Another MKA file containing 4.1 DTS play correct with silent center (Kodi set to pass-through). The only chance to get native 4.0 output is to set Number of Channels in Kodi to 4.0 but of course this setting is just not correct for other source files (Since my receiver can handle 8 channel PCM correct setting is 7.1).

Ah, my device is vero4k with OSMC December 17 update.

Any ideas? Thanks!
I've had issues with playback of quad (4.0) music for a while and thought it was my AVR (Denon AVR X7200wA) - always output as stereo. My workaround was to add a silent centre channel to quad (4.0) file to make them 5.0. I then get to hear quad but of course these are shown as 5.0. It's also an extra painful step in every quad conversion I do (many).

Anyway, check out this post as I believe it's possibly a bug in how Kodi decides how to playback as if I use 'Fixed' Audio Output setting quad is played back via Kodi on my Denon correctly. (Fixed causes other issues). I'm hoping Kodi can be changed to Output 4.0 as 4.0 regardless of audio output setting (I.e. for all Fixed, Best and Optimised always output 4 channels for 4 channel files). This would solve your issue and mine.

Here's my post:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2696486

EDIT: If we can get it done it would be in the upcoming Leia (Kodi 18) release since it's still in alpha phase. It won't get into Krypton.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKA 4.0 LPCM playback - center speaker present anyway0