Android Reliable storage speed tester for Android TV? (Shield)
Hello

I've a quite old Sandisk SSD (over 5 years) that I haven't used in a while, and I'm wondering if it would be a better/faster storage for my ShieldTV. I know SSDs are supposed to be faster than eMMC, but being this a kind of 1st Gen SSD... well. I just want to make sure it really is faster.

Could anybody recommend a good storage performance tester for Android TV?

Thanks !!
Erm, what exactly does this have to do with Kodi ?

Sounds like a more appropriate question for the actual NVIDIA Shield forums themselves.

(2018-01-22, 02:33)wrxtasy Wrote: Erm, what exactly does this have to do with Kodi ?

Sounds like a more appropriate question for the actual NVIDIA Shield forums themselves.
 Well, this is why I put the question on HARDWARE iso SUPPORT  Tongue    

I hope somebody on the forum has already tried to extend the storage of their unit.

But thanks for the suggestion. I visited the Shield forums and was able to get some info. Unfortunately no proper testing app for Android TV (only some sideload options)

So, the question remains... If anybody knows of a good testing app for AndroidTV, please post it here 

Kr

Max
No, there are no storage speed testing apps for Android TV.  The closest you'll get is something like A1 SD Bench, which you will have to sideload.

As well, if you are adopting the storage all it has to do is match the read/write speeds of the internal storage after being adopted.  Anything faster doesn't really matter as it will never need it and actual read/write speeds are still bottlenecked by the internal storage.

Lastly, there is already a Nvidia Shield thread here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226  and you should ask your hardware related questions there instead of starting a new thread.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Put it on a windows machine first and test it there.
(2018-01-22, 16:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: Put it on a windows machine first and test it there.
 You can not tested adopted speeds on a Windows PC.  Once adopted the drive becomes encrypted and the speeds will be less than they would if it were being used purely as external storage.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-22, 15:45)Tinwarble Wrote: As well, if you are adopting the storage all it has to do is match the read/write speeds of the internal storage after being adopted.  Anything faster doesn't really matter as it will never need it and actual read/write speeds are still bottlenecked by the internal storage.

Thanks Tinwarble. I do understand your point that anything faster shouldn't be needed (and is a good point to highlight), but I'm a little bit surprised about the second statement: actual read/write speeds are still bottlenecked by the internal storage. Isn't the point of adopted storage precisely to move whole apps to a different storage (that could be larger, or faster)? Just out of curiosity, can you provide more details or point me to where this is explained?

Thanks !!!
Max
No, there is no where that it is explained, that I'm aware of anyway.

But when you adopt you are tying the storage to the Internal storage. And apps aren't going to run any faster or better just because you put them on faster storage. And the only reason for adopted storage is to increase the storage size, not make it fast.

Keep in mind that the OS is still on the Internal storage and apps are not going to run any faster than the OS can handle.

Really though, it's a moot point since speed is not really an issue with the Shield and as long as the speed of your adopted storage isn't below the minimum requirement you're not going to see any difference.
(2018-01-23, 07:55)Tinwarble Wrote: Keep in mind that the OS is still on the Internal storage and apps are not going to run any faster than the OS can handle.

I don't get why the speed of the OS (internal) storage media has any impact on external media (whether adopted or not) when, for instance, you are playing back video or audio stored on the external drive? You might still want to know the speed of that drive if you were using it for high bitrate video content?

Quote:Really though, it's a moot point since speed is not really an issue with the Shield and as long as the speed of your adopted storage isn't below the minimum requirement you're not going to see any difference.

What if you are playing high-bitrate files (like the 400Mb/s = 50MB/s Jellyfish test for instance) ?
(2018-01-23, 12:24)noggin Wrote: I don't get why the speed of the OS (internal) storage media has any impact on external media (whether adopted or not) when, for instance, you are playing back video or audio stored on the external drive? You might still want to know the speed of that drive if you were using it for high bitrate video content?

Because your drive is not operating in a vacuum.

Quote:What if you are playing high-bitrate files (like the 400Mb/s = 50MB/s Jellyfish test for instance) ? 

Most likely it will play (not that I've ever had the need to try since there are no real world videos at that bitrate), since you are still well below the internal read speed of about 94MB/s.
(2018-01-23, 20:01)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2018-01-23, 12:24)noggin Wrote: I don't get why the speed of the OS (internal) storage media has any impact on external media (whether adopted or not) when, for instance, you are playing back video or audio stored on the external drive? You might still want to know the speed of that drive if you were using it for high bitrate video content?

Because your drive is not operating in a vacuum. 

Can you elaborate please? When I plug high speed SSD RAID arrays into a PC with its OS on a slow 3.5" hard drive, the SSD RAID arrays aren't limited to the speed of the hard drive? Be interested to know why Android is different in this regard.
It is not different .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reliable storage speed tester for Android TV? (Shield)0