Req Kodi 18 - Global (overall) setting for audio/video sync (Audio offset)
Hi.
I use Kodi on Nvidia Shield, on Odroid C2 and on Raspberry Pi 2.
I noticed that the audio/video is not perfectly synched (on my experience up to 200 millisconds of out of sync according to the Kodi installation type/setup) and seems that change for the various device. I uderstand and I agree that it's physiological.
As we know, the audio/video sync can change according to our configuration of Kodi installation and can change according to HDMI delay and TV input lag and AVR delay.
These not pefect audio/video sync are physiological.

I'm thinking to some Kodi installation/setup example:
Kodi installed on Windows
Kodi installed on Linux
Kodi installed directly on TV (Andorid TV)
Kodi installed on LibreELEC on various hardware (Raspberry Pi, Odroid C2, WeTek, etc..)
Kodi installed on Android Box (Nvidia Shield, etc..)

The audio/video sync can change not only for the type of Kodi installation but it can change also according to how Kodi is physycal connected to the TV/monitor.
For example to connect an Android box or a LibreELEC device directly to the TV is different to connect the same device trought an AVR...
If I connect the Kodi device to the TV and leave to the TV to resend the audio to the AVR via HDMI ARC is different to connect the same Kodi device to the AVR and then the AVR to the TV. In the first case I may have the audio a little bit later than the video (the TV may add a physiological latency to extrapolate the audio track and resend it to the AVR)....
So we, for sure, will have different audio/video sync according to the setup.
Each of one is free to choose and prefer a setup according to his necessity.

Well, I know that via the file advancedsettings.xml we can "fine tuning" that audio/video sync with latency/delay parameter (http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#video) but what I'm asking, for Kodi 18, is to have a GLOBAL (overall) option to set the audio/video sync.
I would like to have a GLOBAL (overall) option to set the audio/video sync as for the already available option of audio/video sync (called: "Audio offset") for a specific movie.
Is it possible to have it in Kodi 18 without go to create/edit the file advancedsettings.xml?
In that way is more user friendly and more fast to tune it.

Many thanks!
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
You can select the already available audio offset via the OSD during a video, and save it as default for all videos.
After that you can of course deviate from that per video.

As far as different hardware having different audio delays: that can only be fixed via alternate values in the respective advancedsettings.xml files.
(2018-01-22, 15:21)Klojum Wrote: You can select the already available audio offset via the OSD during a video, and save it as default for all videos.
After that you can of course deviate from that per video.

As far as different hardware having different audio delays: that can only be fixed via alternate values in the respective advancedsettings.xml files.
Yes for all.
But this is the reason I'm asking for that new feature in Kodi.
Much better a bar that scroll left and right to change audio offset compared to edit the advancedsettings.xml.
More easy, more friendly: and remeber that not all Kodi user are so expert to know what is an XML file and how to edit it....
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
Well, more Kodi options could probably made more user-friendly, the problem is that there are so many of them Smile

Editing an XML file is really not that difficult. It is a simple ASCII text file.
Just know that every opening [tag] needs a closing [/tag] as well. The rest is all cosmetic indenting.
Yes I know to do it, but my wife, my father, my father-in-law NO.........
Rofl
I agree. Audio offset stored with a movie is nonsense. I'll make this global.
(2018-01-22, 17:03)FernetMenta Wrote: I agree. Audio offset stored with a movie is nonsense. I'll make this global.
I prefer to have two Audio offset options in Kodi 18:

1. Global
2. For specific movie / video (as is already Kodi now)

I explane why:
The "Global" Audio offset option should be used to "fine tuning" audio/video sync according to users system/TV/AVR setup. In my case for example I need "-200ms", an other user can need "100ms". And it's independently of the movie / video.

The specific movie / video Audio offset option (as is already Kodi now) should be used to "fine tuning" audio/video sync for a specific movie / video that, for exmaple, have encoded "problem" about audio/video sync. Or for LiveTV stream that are out of sync. In that way I can solve Audio offset only for that movie/stream that have a not correct audio/video sync.

Please add the "Global" Audio offset option and do not remove the specific movie / video Audio offset option (as is already Kodi now).

Thanks!
I will certainly don't do nonsense like adding offsets from different sources. How many crappy encoded videos are out there that it requires a setting? I don't think that justifies maintining a setting. For the very few erratic files users can change global offset temporarily.

EDIT: I don't think you'll find a single bradcasting station that streams audio out of sync. All cases I have ever seem were caused by buggy pvr addns / backends
(2018-01-22, 20:31)FernetMenta Wrote: I will certainly don't do nonsense like adding offsets from different sources. How many crappy encoded videos are out there that it requires a setting? I don't think that justifies maintining a setting. For the very few erratic files users can change global offset temporarily.

EDIT: I don't think you'll find a single bradcasting station that streams audio out of sync. All cases I have ever seem were caused by buggy pvr addns / backends
I agree (partially) with you.  Big Grin
What I mean is that now in Kodi you already have a feature that for each "content" in play (movie in library for example) you are able to change the Audio offset (in "Audio and subtitle settings"). And this setting will be valid only for that. That Audio offset changing works (as design) only for that "content" (that movie in library for example). Why do you want to remove that feature?
Is not more easy and useful, as I requested, to ADD another Audio offset (in "System settings" or in "Player" for example) that will works as a "global" Audio offset (how the latency/delay video parameters of advancedsettings.xml works)?

In my case, I'll use the "global" setting configured to "-200ms" so I'll have all (or almost all) movies synched and for a specific movie in library I can specify a different Audio offset (always starting from the "-200ms" global setting).

Example:
Movie has +500ms audio offset (crappy encoded movie)
Global setting is -200ms
For that movie I'll set -300ms.

Hope I was clear.
Thanks!
I know what you mean but imo a lot of settings stored with movies don't make sense and only confuse people. In order to set i.e. scaling method for all videos, a user has to play some SD movie, go to video setting, change scaling, and finally push the button to make this set of settings valid for all videos. Once a user changes video settings for a single movie, a change for the default set does not affect this movie anymore. There is no means to determine if you have already stored settings with a particular movie. This is utter crap.

As you said already, there are settings that belong to a system, not a movie: i.e. audio offset, scaling, deinterlacing, etc. Having all those settings at system and movie level makes no sense. 

Assume you would have 2 settings for audio offset, one at system level, one at movie level. Now play a crappy encoded movie and try to adjust the offset. This won't work because you can't distinguish between system and movie. Confusing the average user with settings made as work-around for crappy encoded content is wrong. Hence having those kond of settings in a base installation is wrong too.
The good news is that Kodi is extensiblle and if somebody wants to write an addons that changes audio offsets for particular movies, that's absutely possible.
(2018-01-23, 09:06)FernetMenta Wrote: ...
Assume you would have 2 settings for audio offset, one at system level, one at movie level. Now play a crappy encoded movie and try to adjust the offset. This won't work because you can't distinguish between system and movie.
IF it's not "technically" possible to distinguish between system and specific movie Audio offset, OK.
But now, via latency/delay video parameters of advancedsettings.xml (that I consider it as a system setting because it works as a system setting) and movie setting ("Audio and subtitle settings") I can have both Audio offset feature (in the same time)... Or I wrong?

If I set latency/delay video parameters of advancedsettings.xml at "-200ms" (Global) and I set an Audio offset for a specific movie ("Audio and subtitle settings") to "-300ms", will I have "-200ms" for all movies and "-500ms" only for that specific movie? If yes, may be I personally prefer how Kodi works now... I'm more "free" to tune the Audio offset at my leisure.

Instead, if setting latency/delay video parameters of advancedsettings.xml will "break" the specific movie setting ("Audio and subtitle settings") I agree with you to have only a global setting.
Instead, if they can works "in the same time", that means "technically" is possible to distinguish between system and specific movie Audio offset and personally I prefer how Kodi works now if is not possible to "simply" add a new setting of Global Audio offset.
Advanced settings are workarounds and for those who should know what they are doing. If somebody tweaks advanced settings I expect him to have a video ready that is particularily made for measuring a/v desnc. GUI settings can be easily accessed by everyone and having settings that interfere with each other only confure people.
I think you agree that having 3 different sources for a/v offsets is nonsene.
(2018-01-24, 09:18)FernetMenta Wrote: Advanced settings are workarounds and for those who should know what they are doing. If somebody tweaks advanced settings I expect him to have a video ready that is particularily made for measuring a/v desnc. GUI settings can be easily accessed by everyone and having settings that interfere with each other only confure people.
I think you agree that having 3 different sources for a/v offsets is nonsene.
Yes! I fully agree with you, advancedsettings.xml are workarounds and for those who should know what they are doing. This is the reason I'm asking for a "Global Audio offset" GUI settings that can be easily accessed by everyone! (In my opinion advancedsettings.xml should be used as little as possible)

Yes! I fully agree with you that having 3 different sources for a/v offsets is nonsene! But 2 make sense: one "global" and one for "specific movie".

I would not seem petulant and still hammering on the same thing, but your "idea" to REMOVE the already existing Audio offset for a specific movie (that is in "Audio and subtitle settings") and ADD a new one of Global is not the best way.

I repeat, ADD a new GUI settings for "Global Audio offset" and leave the already existing Audio offset for a specific movie (that is in "Audio and subtitle settings").
Please think that by default the settings for "Audio offset for a specific movie" is 0ms for all movies. So it means that by default there are not any Audio offset for any specific movie... So, by default, an user will go to change the Audio offset acting on the Global setting. Then, if the user have a specific movie out of sync he can "fine tuning" the sync for that movie using the already existing setting. 
I hope, the new GUI settings for "Global Audio offset" should works as the advancedsettings.xml and leave the existing one for a specific movie (in "Audio and subtitle settings").

I hope you will do all the best to do that!

Thank you and thank you for considering this improvement!
(2018-01-22, 20:31)FernetMenta Wrote: EDIT: I don't think you'll find a single brodcasting station that streams audio out of sync. All cases I have ever seem were caused by buggy pvr addns / backends
My provider is doing that on few channels. It would be nice if I could save audio offset for such channels instead of going to settings and change offset manually.
This guy is 100% correct and I applaud his determination to address this issue. EXAMPLE: Playing a video from my personal media collection of movies I experience a 200 ms delay for almost all of my videos, it makes sense to add (not replace) a global audio delay setting feature for this. However, as stated above, there may be the occasional video with an different encoding method or something else that may cause a slightly different audio delay- having to adjust global audio settings to address these anomalies and remembering to set the global settings back to what they were previously after the video finishes is rubbish. And editing the XML file for something like this is also crap considering the different platforms Kodi is supported on. Sure if we all ran Kodi from a PC, but trying to make edits to core Kodi files hosted on an amazon fire tv would be mind-numbing. We need both a global audio sync setting (stored) and an individual setting (temporary) that can override the global audio delay setting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 - Global (overall) setting for audio/video sync (Audio offset)2