Alpha Skype Integration (Revived)
First and foremost, I'd like to thank user olixelle for his work on the original plugin, found here.
The link to the plugin was long dead and development has stopped a very long time ago. 
I decided to fork the project and continue working on it. Full Skype integration within Kodi is something I've been eagerly waiting for someone to develop for years now. It's not a complicated project, just requires motivation and a little time.
As a first step towards the revival of this project, I have recompiled the original code.
The new executable can now be found here:
* First Release

To install and use:

1. Download SkypeXmlControler.zip from the GitHub release page, linked above. Extract to any folder you want.
Tip: Since the program writes XML files with data, it could be wise not to put it in a program files folder because it will not have the proper authorization to write files inside this folder, which may lead to an error. The best thing to do is to create a folder such as "C:\SkypeKodi" in your root directory and copy the Zip file there. Extract the contents of the Zip in your folder of choice.
2. Make sure Skype is running. It has to run in the background.
3. Run SkypeXmlControler.exe. The correct behavior now is for a skull icon to appear in your application tray and for the Skype window to completely disappear. If the Skype window did not disappear, then this is a problem. The application will probably not work properly for you.
4. To re-verify that this step completed successfully, in your SkypeKodi\var\skype2kodi folder, you're supposed to have an XML files with list of all your Skype friends.
5. Now, install the SkypeForKodi Plugin by downloading the plugin from the new GitHub repository at this link. This will download a ZIP file which you can install from Kodi using Add-Ons -> Install from zip file. After installing it you'll find the plugin in My Add-Ons -> Program Add-Ons -> Skype. Go into the settings of the Add-On and select the path of the "var" folder from above. (for example: C:\SkypeKodi\var\).

You should now be able to run it, call people and accept calls while in Kodi.

Tip: When I first ran it, I had both versions for Skype installed. The classic skype desktop for Windows and the Windows Store version. I 

To Do List

- The Add-On uses a very old library ("skype4COMLib") that is buggy and needs to be replaced.
- The Add-On actually does not use the API library to make the call, instead it creates a command prompt call (CLI). This is not a good solution and needs to be changed.
- Skin doesn't look good on a 4k screen, needs to change that. I'm using Eminence skin, adapting to this skin could be great.
- The Add-On checks the friend list every 10 seconds and writes to a file, that is not efficient at all, this needs to be improved.
- An option for manually updating or selecting pictures for contacts, for cases where the contacts have lousy pictures of themselves.
- An option to select which contacts you want to see in your list.
- Improve UI to be more remote-control friendly. 

Comments

Unfortunately, despite somewhat reviving this project, I do not have the time to take this on with the full seriousness this project deserves. I plan on continuing to slowly work on it, mainly because I see myself actually using it daily. However, if there's anyone here who's a developer (code is in Visual Basic, unfortunately) or a skinner, you're more than welcome to come on-board and assist with the project.
If you can't contribute to the development but wish to buy me coffee instead, here are a few easy ways to do that:
Monero: 41uZy38eZRZVKLit7FvnmKQ21Ln2vGTnYWDcZ2QBjze1FzPEEhz4LJBhqiDeFK6RNWQHHsCPryqYUhBzgjsxzwxM1gyq34S
BTC: 3HpK1R7q6Q8pD949coyjEiVF6BqdZw4mWv
Zcash: t1agDqE9K4cMJq7M3PVwPp2bxUrsMmaY14K

Tips

- Because the executable SkypeXmlController.exe needs to load *after* skype is loaded (and there's currently a bug where if you load them in the wrong order then SkypeXmlController will hang), then I recommend removing skype from loading with boot (Tools->Options->Start Skype When I Start Windows). Instead, I have prepared a short script that loads skype, waits, and then loads SkypeXmlController. Simply save this code as "skype.vbs" and copy it to "shellConfusedtartup" to load with boot.
vbscript:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\skype.exe" & Chr(34), 0
WScript.Sleep 7000
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\SkypeKodi\SkypeXmlController.exe" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

- I am personally using the wonderful eminence 2 skin, which looks wonderful on a 4k screen. I have created a skin that matches the resolution better than the existing skin.
https://github.com/moryoav/SkypeKodi/rel...ence.2.zip
Hi moryoav,
I'm having this error afert runing the exe file, can you advise? Thx, A.

error
This plugin hasn't been maintained in years, I was never quite able to make it work, and Skype kept changing and breaking things, not to mention never releasing an official API.
I unfortunately ended up giving up on this.

(2020-06-05, 16:57)albescri Wrote: Hi moryoav,
I'm having this error afert runing the exe file, can you advise? Thx, A.

error

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skype Integration (Revived)0