When will Kodi 18 be released?
When will Kodi 18 be fully released as an alternative to Kodi 17 Krypton?

I want to run the 64-bit version on my laptop, but am awaiting a Full Release. Not the monthly builds/nightly builds.
You can then wait several more months before it even hits beta.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2018-01-23, 19:25)TheChosenSphinx Wrote: When will Kodi 18 be fully released as an alternative to Kodi 17 Krypton?

I want to run the 64-bit version on my laptop, but am awaiting a Full Release. Not the monthly builds/nightly builds.
Why?

What does 18 do that 17.6 doesn't?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2018-01-23, 20:02)speedwell68 Wrote: Why?

64 > 32 do you need any other reason?
(2018-01-23, 20:06)Av3nged Wrote:

Does that make any difference?  Actually?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Although incomplete http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v18_(Leia)_changelog should give you the idea that Kodi is evolving. It will be released when it's ready, but I've been enjoying the Alpha for months.
It will be released when it’s ready Big Grin
(2018-01-23, 20:11)speedwell68 Wrote:

To some people yes, bigger is always better! personally i don't think it matters.
(2018-01-23, 21:54)PatK Wrote: Although incomplete http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v18_(Leia)_changelog should give you the idea that Kodi is evolving. It will be released when it's ready, but I've been enjoying the Alpha for months.
 Call me a geek, but what I like about the nightlies, is seeing the new features there, and if/when they break I can fully appreciate what you guys do.

@jjd-uk I will happily wait until 'when its ready' for v18 but for my daily drivers at home 17.6 is good enough for now.

All I want is v18 to be as stable as good as v17.6 (which is VERY stable), if that takes 1 month or 12 months, I don't care.

Bleeding edge is great if you need to tinker (already changed my modded Estuary skin ready for v18, so Im already for when) but when the current version does what it says on the tin, then stick to that and just wait. As mentioned many times, Team Kodi are volunteers and do this for free, and have never worked towards deadlines, much like other FOSS projects.
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
(2018-01-23, 20:11)speedwell68 Wrote:

It makes a huge difference on things like software decoding, eg systems with graphics card incapable to decode HEVC, VP9 etc.
(2018-01-23, 21:54)PatK Wrote: Although incomplete http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v18_(Leia)_changelog should give you the idea that Kodi is evolving. It will be released when it's ready, but I've been enjoying the Alpha for months.
 Yeah, I've been running Windows x64 nightlies for a while now to get workable HEVC decoding.  My HTPC has a 3770k in it but only an R9 390X, so it has no HEVC decoding.

That said, I sometimes hit bugs but I update it every Friday to the 'latest' nightly.

But I wish I could start helping and testing Blu-Ray support.  I can remux my BDs for my server but in some cases I do want the full menu experience and it'd be nice to play the full retail discs in the machine.
I have been using Kodi for awhile now and I always find that, for me at least, the pre-alphas posted after a few stable builds (i.e. Krypton 17.3 as an example) to be perfectly usable.

I remember reading some time ago that the "plan" is to merge things from the 1st to the 15th of the month and then do fixes until the end of that month. Not sure if that is just alphas/betas instead of everything including the v18 pre-alphas but regardless I just can't say enough good things about the constant updates and improvements to Kodi that are happening daily.

FernetMenta working on videoplayer and separating the GUI rendering from something that I can't remember but I noticed immediate gains after (I have no idea what I am talking about but could swear it is the case Nod ) also MartijnKaijser, Rechi, afedchin, Paxxi, ronie, Montellese, garbear, spiff/notspiff, tamland, xhaggi, fritsch, phil65, DaveTBlake... and now I am in trouble cause I cannot possibly name everybody... Eek

Thanks for what you all do, it is appreciated Smile

Anyhoo time for me to stop talking now and install the latest nightlie TTYL Cool
I am also waiting for 18. I want 64 bit version. But I don't think 18 will come any time soon. The full version will be available in fall I think.
it will be worth the wait with retroplayer coming along nicely Smile
in the last years our nightlies have become very stable. There is still a slight chance that a certain feature that's currently being reworked might not yet work as expected, but those issues are usually fixed pretty fast as well when they get noticed. Given that, I run nightlies on all my devices since I'd like to use some of the improvements that already went into v18. I usually do some basic tests of a recent nightly every now and then, and if my usecases work, I deploy that version to my main devices.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When will Kodi 18 be released?0