4k 10-bit HEVC video looks washed out / undersaturated
(2018-01-27, 00:36)scott967 Wrote:
(2018-01-26, 11:22)DominicM Wrote: MediaInfo only shows it is 10 bit, is there any telltale sign to look for?
 I am looking at the "Life of Pi" sample linked in the Kodi Wiki sample video files.  I run Mediainfo 17.12 on the file and it gives me (extracted pertinent info):
Code:
Color range: Limited
Color primaries: BT.2020
Transfer characteristics: PQ
Matrix coefficients: BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries: Display P3
Mastering display luminance: min: 0.0200 cd/m2, max: 1200 cd/m2

compare to a generic AVC "HD" result:
Code:
Color range: Limited
Color primaries: BT.709
Transfer characteristics: BT.709
Matrix coefficients: BT.709

When I play "Life of Pi" on Kodi 18 180121 nightly on windows 7  I see ffmpeg is correctly decoding this info, and DXVA isn't available for it as expected so it is decoded in software.  It appears on win 7 Kodi is using pixel shaders for rendering which I don't really understand shader code, but I'm guessing this is where the conversion from color space BT-2020 to BT-709 and transfer function PQ to BT.709 (which I guess is commonly referred to as Gamma 2.4) has to be done.

Edit:  I installed one of Soli's 3dlut files and turned on color management for "Life of Pi" and it looks very good.  Would seem to be a viable solution for showing HDR10 files on SDR (in my case cheap Samsung 1080p) displays.

scott s.
 Life of Pi is actually one of the movies I have. In MediaInfo I see Colour primaries: BT.2020 so it's not the same as the sample you used. I did just try it with windows default player and I feel like I was watching it in black and white in kodi, will have to re watch it's so different. This difference might actually be partially due to the fact that I am using a wide gamut monitor on windows machine though it's not HDR.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4k 10-bit HEVC video looks washed out / undersaturated - by DominicM - 2018-01-27, 02:33
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4k 10-bit HEVC video looks washed out / undersaturated0