Highest quality 1080p -> 4K upscaling on Nvida Shield?
I recently bought the Nvidia Shield TV (latest version) and wondering how to get the high quality for upscaling 1080p to 4K (My display is 4K, my output resolution is 4K, and the title is 1080p) content. There are a few different options in the Video->Processing menu: Auto-detect, DXVA, Pixel Shaders, Software. Which will provide the highest quality? Also I read that SPMC has "high quality" scaling and was touted as an advantage over Kodi. But it seems that Kodi perhaps has caught up in this area and now offers this too? Or might SPMC have some advantages in upscaling?

Lastly, has there been any improvements to the upscaling with Kodi v18 nightly builds? Thank you.
You can select DXVA (as Directx Video Acceleration)? DirectX? On the Nvidia Shield?
Sounds...strange.
Oh sorry, I was looking at the Options displayed on a PC installation of Shield. I have to review what the options are listed on the Shield. Although my previous questions remain - what is the best upscaling options (highest possible quality) available to go from 1080p to 4K, and does Kodi 18 improve on this?
Set Kodi itself to display at 1080p. TV will do a better job of upscaling for you than the Shield. Set Shield resolution to 4k. You can still play 4K files within Kodi set at 1080p - it autoswitches.
Optional extras: You could remove judder by setting refresh rate in kodi to option: on start/stop. Most movies will then play at 24fps rather than 60fps.

I would like to know if PQ/upscaling/framerate and refresh rates are improved with Kodi 18 over Kodi 17.6 or if its just negligible at the moment?
everyone goes on that SPMC is the best for Android and Koying certainly is a fantastic bloke who tailor makes his builds for Android but I feel that SPMC and Kodi are on a par now. Of course there will be people that disagree. Also MrMC has an Android version that doesnt run any addons but is supposedly very good as well. I am happy with Kodi and supporting them by using it knowing that when Kodi 18 is released, SPMC and MrMC will just be playing catch up! (oooh, controversy!) All 3 are excellent players though. You cannot go wrong with any of them.
Yes, it seems the best Nvidia Shield settings (for 4k display) is to:

1. Set Shield TV HDMI output to 4K (2160p)
2. Set Kodi to 1080p (30Hz, it seems 60Hz is not available)

So 1080p videos will be up-scaled from TV and for 4K videos Kodi will got to autoswitch resolution to 4K.
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
(2018-01-26, 13:51)outcave Wrote: Yes, it seems the best Nvidia Shield settings (for 4k display) is to:

1. Set Shield TV HDMI output to 4K (2160p)
2. Set Kodi to 1080p (30Hz, it seems 60Hz is not available)

So 1080p videos will be up-scaled from TV and for 4K videos Kodi will got to autoswitch resolution to 4K.
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately my display is not great at upscaling either. I've seen other media players upscale much better than my display and better than Kodi. Also it's important that I have the Shield AND Kodi set to the same resolution because then I can go back and forth between the main Kodi screens and paused titles without a HDMI resync which is slow.

I see in your signature you have both a Kodi v17 and v18 setup? Do you know if v18 has made any improvements to the upscaling? Also is there a way to go back and forth between 17 and 18 on the same Shield box, or at least preserve all the settings going back and forth? I want to try 18 but I may need to revert.
what about the colour space? Does kodi auto switch the colour ?
(2019-05-05, 12:23)ignade82 Wrote: what about the colour space? Does kodi auto switch the colour ?

Both Kodi and Nvidia Shield supports color space switching.
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
(2019-05-05, 12:23)ignade82 Wrote: what about the colour space? Does kodi auto switch the colour ?

Both Kodi and Nvidia Shield supports color space switching and resolution / refresh rate switching.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid...pid2822355
how do I know when TV is doing its upscaling? Does it work automatic? I don’t use auto-motion like features and I think this is how it works then...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Highest quality 1080p -> 4K upscaling on Nvida Shield?0