Looking for skins that support projector lens zoom for CIH screens
Hi All - I have a 2.35 aspect ratio constant image height (CIH) screen. This means that when I watch 16:9 I have bars on the left/right side. And when I swatch 2.35 titles I have bars initially on all four sides, but then I zoom the projector out so that the video fills the entire screen, with all 4 borders zoomed off the screen. This is a very common setup for people with projectors and 2.35 screens.

However it creates an problem with the OSD during playback (and also when viewing titles and working with the GUI, to a certain extent) because the skins are designed to display the OSD information (playback controls in pause menu, tags, time remaining etc) inside the top/bottom black bar areas. However in the zoom case, those areas are not viewable because they are zoomed off the screen.

I am looking for skins specifically designed to overcome this issue. I found this one, which looks great: https://github.com/Funkd/ScopeNox . I was wondering if there are others designed like this, so I have some different ones to choose from. Anyone know?
(2018-01-26, 02:52)kaybird Wrote: And when I swatch 2.35 titles I have bars initially on all four sides
I never have that. I only have two bars, at the top and bottom. I then can use Vertical Shift, so I move the video display all the way to the top. BTW: I don't have a projector, but I have 16:9 and 21:9 monitors. Where do your black bars on the left & right come from on a 16:9 screen/display?

(2018-01-26, 02:52)kaybird Wrote: but then I zoom the projector out so that the video fills the entire screen, with all 4 borders zoomed off the screen
Don't use the zoom on the projector, toggle the [z]oom option in Kodi for the optimal display. It will change the display of the video, but the skin will remain intact.
(2018-01-26, 06:31)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-01-26, 02:52)kaybird Wrote: And when I swatch 2.35 titles I have bars initially on all four sides
I never have that. I only have two bars, at the top and bottom. I then can use Vertical Shift, so I move the video display all the way to the top. BTW: I don't have a projector, but I have 16:9 and 21:9 monitors. Where do your black bars on the left & right come from on a 16:9 screen/display?
(2018-01-26, 02:52)kaybird Wrote: but then I zoom the projector out so that the video fills the entire screen, with all 4 borders zoomed off the screen
Don't use the zoom on the projector, toggle the [z]oom option in Kodi for the optimal display. It will change the display of the video, but the skin will remain intact. 
 If you display 16:9 content on a 2.35 screen, the image will fill the screen top to bottom, but will not fill the image left to right. That's because it is 16:9 but the screen is wider than that. So the image is centered in the screen but with thick vertical black borders on the left or right. Keep in mind that the projector only projects a 16:9 image at all times (not natively a 2:35 image).  

Then when you display a 2:35 image, the left and right black borders remain, but now you also pick up top and bottom black bars, just like you have on a 16:9 display.  Now here's where the magic comes in... you zoom the projector out and then the image fills the screen perfectly, zooming wide enough to fill it both top to bottom and left to right. There is no scaling taking place.

Zoom on the projector is the best way to do it.  A zoom in the Kodi that filled out the screen would have to do it via scaling and interpolation, which could not even come close to just making the image larger with the zoom (super smooth, no digital enlarging going on).
I aggree with kaybird. The best solution for beamer user is to use the beamer zoom to fit the 21:9 screen. I understand that it is to difficult to implement in kodi a switch to scaling down only the gui to fit the screen in beamer zoomed 21:9 mode.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
After starting this thread I found this skin for 17.6 https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2025175 called ScopeNox. It is designed EXACTLY for the purpose and works really well. I like the skin a lot too for other reasons, very well designed. It is really nice to have a full skin that fits nicely within the zoomed out image!  Also the developer of Estuary MOD V2 is experimenting with adding projector zoom support as well - project is here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306757 .
Cool I didn't know that Guilouz is working for CIH beamer skin support. Thats good news  Smile
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for skins that support projector lens zoom for CIH screens0