daily crashes
Kodi is crashing every day for me. The "funny" thing is that the crashes always happen when the system is completely idle (it is just sitting on the main menu and doing nothing). I notice this issue only when checking the logfiles. I do not think it is hardware related as I have this problem on several systems: One HTPC with Asrock mainboard, two Z83 mini PCs and on a vero 4k. The Intel machines are running LibreELEC, the vero 4k runs OSMC. They all have in common that I have the VDR PVR client installed; the server is running on the HTPC. The issue does not depend on the skin being used. I even did complete fresh installs and still see the issue. I plan to try things out with tvheadend instead of VDR, but this still will need to wait for some weeks, as the server is being used quite a lot.

I looked around the net but strangely enough I did not find any similar reports (maybe others do not notice the problem as it seems to never happen when watching TV or listening to music). I'm investigating this since several weeks meanwhile but still do not understand what is triggering it.

Are there any background jobs performed by kodi or the VDR client that could trigger this and that I could influence/disable to get an idea what is causing these crashes? Any other idea?
Your filebin URL does not work.
Check out loads when "idling" in menu, my box shows 40-60% at menus in 4k resolution. It never crashes though, no PVR client installed.
(2018-01-28, 17:31)P.Kosunen Wrote: Check out loads when "idling" in menu, my box shows 40-60% at menus in 4k resolution. It never crashes though, no PVR client installed.
 5.3% here (3840x2160) on a slow Apollo Lake. What is your box doing?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-01-28, 17:16)Klojum Wrote: Your filebin URL does not work.
 Sorry about that; I chose this site because I could not figure out how to upload a file to pastebin.com and having to manually select chunks and paste them into the input field is quite cumbersome. Meanwhile I found xclip as workaround. And now I have an even better crashlog: I enabled debug logging, rebooted the machine and left it alone. After some hours, there again was a crash. See crashlog here. Note that not a single key or button was pressed from bootup until the crash.
(2018-01-28, 17:32)fritsch Wrote:  5.3% here (3840x2160) on a slow Apollo Lake. What is your box doing? 

Do you use modesetting or Intel driver in X?

I use Intel driver and AccelMethod sna with Fluxbox. High loads are in main menus with RSS feed scrolling, in submenus load is around 7-8%.
RSS feed is disabled by default as its implementation just does what you see - very high cpu load :-). I am running the intel driver, not modesetting.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-01-28, 16:11)Schreibwaise Wrote:  I plan to try things out with tvheadend instead of VDR, but this still will need to wait for some weeks, as the server is being used quite a lot.

I was having almost daily crashes/reboots and also coming back to my boxes (intel and raspi 2) to find them locked up.

I have to laugh as I'm using tvheadend and was going to swap to vdr to see if that fixed it!

In the end I've switched to a LE9 nightly build from February and, this is sad to say, I'm actually finding it a LOT more stable than the supposed stable 8.2.3 release! No more returning to a device to find it frozen and no more getting stuck forever with the progress circle when starting a pvr channel.. Very few random reboots/freezes - maybe one or two per week per device instead of every day of every device..

Very weird how a bleeding edge supposed bug filled not-even-alpha release is more stable than the official stable release Sad

Has a lot changed in the pvr code to make the difference I wonder..
Thanks for confirming I'm not seeing ghosts. Meanwhile I know that vdr is not the culprit as I have been seeing this problem also without this addon. And meanwhile there is at least one additional user also seeing this problem.

Unfortunately current 9.0 pre-alpha versions are not that stable for me. I'm getting frequent crashes when skipping or seeking. But just playing videos or music is fine.
Sorry to hear that you've had not much luck with LE9...

I do notice bugs with seeking too, sometimes recorded live tv programs skip backwards when trying to skip forwards?! 

I've not been able to spot a pattern yet though, most recordings are ok..
(2018-03-07, 12:12)Thebluevoice Wrote: Sorry to hear that you've had not much luck with LE9...

I do notice bugs with seeking too, sometimes recorded live tv programs skip backwards when trying to skip forwards?! 

I've not been able to spot a pattern yet though, most recordings are ok..
Ahh, I've seen this with 8.2.3 as well! Any chance you are German and are using VPS? I get the feeling that the German broadcasters will announce when there are ads and vdr seems to recognize this and stop recording until the ads are over. After that the timestamps seem to be off. At least this is my current theory because so far I only saw this strange behaviour in such cases and only after such an ad break. I never had this erratic skipping with recordings that did not use VPS.
No, I'm in the UK Smile

But, yes I've seen this behaviour with edl files generated by comskip in my case. Thought the bug was fixed but tested again recently and skipping is bugged if edl files are present..
(2018-03-07, 14:32)Thebluevoice Wrote: No, I'm in the UK Smile

But, yes I've seen this behaviour with edl files generated by comskip in my case. Thought the bug was fixed but tested again recently and skipping is bugged if edl files are present..
 I understand, so this sounds like the same problem. Good to know that I would not gain anything by switching to tvheadend Smile
And me by not switching to VDR Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
daily crashes0