DVD-Video .iso images crashes XBMC for Linux?
Question 
Hey all,

I ripped a DVD to .iso and attempted to play it with XBMC. It loaded up fine to the DVD menu, but when I tried to start the actual movie XBMC crashed to desktop. I retried 2 more times with it crashing each time. I played around with other files for a bit then decided to go back and crash it again so I could save the log file to help with debugging, but when I tried it again it didn't crash - the movie played perfectly. I stopped and started it a few times and it ran with no problems each time.

Has anybody encountered intermittant problems like this with DVD .iso files? I plan on ripping 200+ DVDs to .iso but if there's no known issue with these and I'm going to encounter random crashes I might have to look into encoding just the video to xvid or something instead.

Also is there a bugzilla (or similar) site for XBMC linux?

Thanks,

Nic
There is another post about dvd isos, search the forums I don't have any to test with ATM.

As for bug reports, they will be accepted once the code reaches beta.
Actually I've found that ISO work and that VOB/IFO are what have issues. Have you just tested the one ISO? The code is revised often, you might want to try it again in a few days as someone might be working on that area. All in all I'd say ISO is a "safe" way to go and you'll get to keep menus etc.. I use DVDShrink which does IFO/VOB and that has proven to not yet be supported <shrug>

P.S. If you think 200 is a problem check the link in my sig for my DVDs and imagine trying to convert all of those!:-O
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I use DVDFab Decrypter in movie only mode to convert my DVDs to ISO, and I have been using XBMC for Linux with them for months with no problems.

The build I'm using at the moment is SVN r12596.
Here's a log of it crashing on an ISO I just made: http://nic.wolfeden.ca/xbmc.log

I'll try updating my build and see if that helps.
Hm I can't edit, so double post:

Note that it seems to be a sound problem but I can play the actual DVD just fine (and this is a direct iso rip). Also, after restarting XMBC from the crash, the next time I tried the ISO it worked just fine :-|
Have the CVS from the 4th of May, and when trying to play a DVD-ISO-file (like I have done on my Xbox with XBMC successfully), it crashes.
I get to the DVD-menu, and choose the movie to start play, and when the movie should start, it crashes.

After the crash, ALSA no longer outputs any sound whatsoever, not even under Linux.
Could not figure out how to fix it, so I totally reinstalled the OS. The first time I thought it might be connected to me installing new codecs (W32codecs, libdvd etc).

When it happened to me a second time, all codecs had been installed for at least a day, and the machine had been rebooted several times. I had watched several other pieces of media (xvid, mpeg, mp3 etc) succesfully. Again after trying to watch a DVD-ISO-file, it crashed after starting the menu when I chose play from the menu. And again ALSA died!

Reinstalled the whole system again last night, and do not know if I dare trying DVD-ISO files again...

Linux recognises the soundcard, has the drivers loaded, outputs no errors as far as I can see. Nothing is muted in ALSA-Mixer, volumes are over 50% and speaker-test outputs no sound that I can hear.

I use optical to a receiver.
It's no help but I can tell you that I've had XBMC crashes kill off my sound like that twice in the past. I found that analog worked fine but nothing digital. I too reinstalled my OS and ended up making a backup image to speed things up - need to update it come to think of it! Anyway, you're not alone. Thankfully this hasn't happened in months or very often. Honestly I think it's an Ubuntu issue Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
To fix this, rename your /etc/init.d/alsa-utils and reboot. Then rename it back, run alsa-mixer again and set up your audio, and digital will work again.

This is a Ubuntu issue and it drives me nuts :-|
midgetspy Wrote:To fix this, rename your /etc/init.d/alsa-utils and reboot. Then rename it back, run alsa-mixer again and set up your audio, and digital will work again.

This is a Ubuntu issue and it drives me nuts :-|

Oooh! PLEASE post that in the tips and tricks thread! Would have saved me MANY hours of dorking with my box a few months ago!Shocked

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD-Video .iso images crashes XBMC for Linux?0