Why does Kodi require magic insecure tricks to access NFS on Macs?
Kodi requires to disable (temporarily) System Integrity protection and alter system files in order to be able to access a recent Mac's NFS shares.
This is described here http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS

I find it very odd since I can access the same files from other devices, including MrMC and Infuse on an Apple TV, without having to do that.

Since MrMC is AFAIK a Kodi implementation, why does Kodi on my Android TV require to mess with my Mac's security to access NFS shares while MrMC does not?

Any reason for that ?
Thanks in advance.

Note: I cannot search for "NFS" on the forums because search terms must be at least 4 letter long. How stupid.
3 letter limit suck eh?  I use a google search to do it -
Quote: nfs site:forum.kodi.tv
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
The -N flag needs to be set or else the nfs server will not allow connections from non-privileged ports. When kodi does not runs as root (which you never should do) kodi can only connect to nfs from an unprivileged port (normally ports >1024). I am not sure if you really compared nfs connections only here. But the restriction for running kodi as unprivileged user is there for all sort of applications and i have no idea why mrmc or infuse would be any different.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
the "secure/insecure" flag in NFS is an acient relic from back in the day when something running as root was deemed "secure". This is utter BS and your Mac is in no way more or less secure when you use those flags.
Yeah I think he is a bit annoyed about the procedure that I needed to set this insecure flag in OS X nowadays ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2018-02-01, 20:05)Memphiz Wrote: Yeah I think he is a bit annoyed about the procedure that I needed to set this insecure flag in OS X nowadays ...
Actually "he" is amazed that people are happy with such idiotic complexity, or the impossibility to search for "NFS" in the forums. In 2018.
And "he" quite enjoys OS X security.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!
You got your answer, unless you want to run kodi as root, there is no way around it. You can bug Apple to set sane defaults for NFS.
(2018-02-03, 13:45)jeromec Wrote:
(2018-02-01, 20:05)Memphiz Wrote: Yeah I think he is a bit annoyed about the procedure that I needed to set this insecure flag in OS X nowadays ...
Actually "he" is amazed that people are happy with such idiotic complexity, or the impossibility to search for "NFS" in the forums. In 2018.
And "he" quite enjoys OS X security.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Not sure what you got wrong here - my reply was for wsnipex (who implied that your post was about security and I think you really meant the annoyance of the configuration) - what is wrong with referring to you as „he“ in that context?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does Kodi require magic insecure tricks to access NFS on Macs?0