High CPU usage in High Sierra
Hi,
I am having issues with the latest release of Kodi and also with older version.
When I am playing a movie in full screen mode on a secondary display after about a minute the fans of my 2016 MBP start to run at high speed and never stops until I close the Kodi app.
Tried to uninstall the app, deleted all prefs, tried to install a older version but with no luck.
Does anybody have any idea how to deal with this issue? At this moment I can’t use Kodi and it is very frustrating.
Thank you,
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
I think VTBDecoder is not working in high sierra (10.13.4)
No cpu usage differs between VTBDecoder on/off (means only CPU works) in Mac mini 2014 HD 5000

CPU usage about 30% for 1080p h264 file
When playing it by QuicktimeX on same machine, It only 3% usage
I am experiencing a similar problem.

Debug logs here: foseronuku (paste)

I've noticed for as long as I've had this set up that occasionally the video and audio will freeze, but I can still jump back 30 seconds and change from full screen to windowed ('\') and back. I started running top in another window and when videos froze, I would check the cpu usage and there was Kodi up at the top of the list in the high 70s and 80s. When the video resumed, the cpu dropped back to something more reasonable.

I thought at first it was because I was using WiFi and the network was unable to keep up. But I recently installed a Cat6 cable to the router and 1000BT throughout. So I'm pretty sure the network throughput is no longer an issue. My source is on a linux server next to the router downstairs. I also checked there, but no cpu spikes or freezes at that end when these events occur. I use sshfs to mount the sources to the Mac running Kodi.

In the debug log posted, I started Kodi as instructed, started a TV show, and watched until it obliged me with a hang. I waited about 30 s or so after it returned to normal to stop the video and upload the log.

Thanks in advance for your help.
@fbicknel

The forum moderators have determined that Banned_addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
So two things:
  • you won't tell me which add-ons to remove, but rather point me to a wiki that lists a large number of add-ons.
  • you will essentially censor this entire transaction in 3 days if I don't remove all add on or spend a bunch of time figuring out which one s are offensive.

Sigh. Sure ok I guess I have no choice.

Will you censor this, too, I wonder.
14:22:31.318 T:140736756655040 DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Plug-in script.tvaddons.debug.log has been installed.'
14:22:31.318 T:140736756655040 DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Plug-in plugin.program.indigo has been installed.'

Both presumably orphans from the malware that is Indigo, but both should be removed. You may well need to do this manually as it looks like they've been left behind and orphaned. But they are still running on your system, which hopefully should give you pause for thought about the stuff on the banned addons (wiki) list and why some of it like that are on there. Do you know what those two (especially the last one) may be doing on your system under the radar?

And to remind you that when you signed up here, you agreed to obey those forum rules (wiki) including our stance on piracy and related 3rd party add-ons that are on the list. You do indeed have no choice if you want support here, or else you shouldn't have accepted the site rules and signed up...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thank you. That was genuinely kind of you to narrow the scope for me. I'm happy to remove those and repeat the process.

I had no objection to obeying the rules, but I pay no nevermind to which addons I've installed or which are disallowed. So your pointing them out to me was very valuable and much appreciated.

See you back here in 24-36 hours.

Thanks again.
You will probably need to do the removal manually - as noted they look to be orphaned scripts/files left behind after the main add-on was removed.

To do that, close down Kodi, and in your file manager of choice go to:

Code:
/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/Kodi/

Replace <your_user_name> with your username, and if I remember correctly the Users folder is a hidden folder so you may need to adjust settings to see it.

Once there you should see a sub-folder called "add-ons", and in that a further sub-folder for each of the add-ons you have installed. Just delete the two sub-folders corresponding to the items above and then restart Kodi.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Well, then. Looks like just removing those two addons may have fixed it.

I have been running for a few hours with debug on waiting for it to hang... no such hang occurred. Also, the CPU is running a couple of tens of percentage points lower.

I'm going to say thanks and let's hope that fixed it.
Good to hear, and (yet another) salient lesson reinforcing our views on those particular 3rd party malware addons... Wink

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
High CPU usage in High Sierra0