Kodi and resolution
Hello Kodi Community

I'm getting ready to install Kodi for the first time and need some insight into how Kodi works.

Setup:
I have a 2k projector with an integrated scaler, connected to a RPi3 (for now) over HDMI 2.0b.

How I'd like Kodi to work:

Whenever I'm in the Kodi menu, Kodi and the RPi should be outputing a video signal with a resolution that is identical to that of the projector's native resolution.

Whenever Kodi plays a video who's resolution is smaller than the projector's native 2k resolution, then I don't want Kodi or Raspbian doing any of the scaling. All upsampling must be done by the scaler inside the projector. If the video source material is 720x576 (DVD PAL), then that is the resolution Kodi must be outputting over HDMI. If the video source material is 1440×1080 (Blue-Ray), then that is the resolution Kodi must be outputting over HDMI, without me having to configure resolution manually every time.

omxplayer has an switch ("-r"), that does this.

Does Kodi work this way out of the box? Must I configure anything to get this behavior? Does this work at all?

Lastly, whenever Kodi plays a video who's X or Y resolution is larger than the projector's native 2k resolution, then I'd prefer Kodi to downsample the source material, in either X, Y or both dimensions, so that the video's resolution is never larger than the projector's native resolution. This isn't quite as important, but it would be nice if it worked. Can Kodi do this as well, and if yes, do I need to do anything for it to work?

Thanks for your help and explanations!
which projector is it?
I'll have to look later when I'm back home. Its an old commercial model that was very high-end at its time. Projection is digital but the inputs are all analog and the scaler is designed specifically for the hardware.
BTW: omxplayer supports this feature with the "-r" option. This adjusts both frame-rate and resolution to that of the source material. After testing I can verify this works as advertised. That's exactly what I'm hoping to get Kodi to do. Ideas?https://elinux.org/Omxplayer
Use omxplayer as external player?

What resolution exactly is your projector?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Still waiting for the answer which projector it is. Must be hard to determine the manufactor and the model.
(2018-02-04, 10:46)DaVu Wrote: Still waiting for the answer which projector it is. Must be hard to determine the manufactor and the model.
 It's not as easy to view the model/make as you might think (I'll omit the details). Anyway, it's apparently not even a 2k model, which is quite astounding considering how good image quality still is:

Runco VX 5000c (1280x720)
(2018-02-03, 20:14)nickr Wrote: Use omxplayer as external player?
 How can I set that up (currently using OSMC), so omxplayer always uses the "-r" option?
https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and resolution0