Unusual setup with Kodi
Just out of curiosity about what others do with Kodi I started searching the net for unusual setups. Unfortunately all I get is a gazillion copy paste sites about "awesome" craptastic kodi builds and wizards which I don't give a flying f... about.

So, what have you done with Kodi that's a bit unusual in a cool way?

I'm toying with a setup that'll turn on my PJ, roll down the screen and turn off all light automatically when movies from a specific source is started. Not sure it's all that unusual, but it is at least somewhat cool.
I have 4 Raspberry Pi based HTPCs, a desktop and laptop all with Kodi.  I have built a mini-server using scrap kit.  The server shares video and music using NFS and ties it all together with a MySQL database.  The Raspberry Pi 2 in my lounge also has a Ambilight setup using a string of leds and Hyperion.

Hardly unusual, but it a bit different to how most people watch TV and I have the satisfaction in knowing that I built it all myself from scratch and I have repurposed a load of kit that was destined to go to the scrap heap.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
once i finished my home reconstruction I'll add some home-automation stuff to Kodi in the way you already described (dim lights when watching movies, dim them up on pause etc). I might also give it a try and do some homebrew Ambilight stuff - but not sure though which way to go there. At some point I also had the idea to use a PI+Kodi+Speaker to create some sort of multiroom audio for livingroom + kitchen, but not yet entirely sure
2 Pi here, one in living room, one with a PJ in the bedroom, my physical server running hyper v with OMV and TVHEADEND runnng. 20GB Ram and 17Tb storage. A man of extremes here!
Server: Ubuntu Server 22TB HDD running SAMBA
Kodi: 4 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec -  on the main PC - running Linux Mint
My Setup thread |
As a rule, if your setup includes a wizard or a "build" that doesn't mean "application compiled from source with additional modifications such as retroplayer," then your setup is junk. Actually, any time you proudly use the word "build" about software in a way that doesn't mean compiling an application, you're an idiot.

With that said, if you're interested in checking out some really cool Kodi setups or home theater builds (in the literal wood and nails sense), you should check out the Hardware Showcase subforum. Some crazy stuff in there. https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=202
(2018-02-02, 00:01)natethomas Wrote: As a rule, if your setup includes a wizard or a "build" that doesn't mean "application compiled from source with additional modifications such as retroplayer," then your setup is junk. Actually, any time you proudly use the word "build" about software in a way that doesn't mean compiling an application, you're an idiot.

With that said, if you're interested in checking out some really cool Kodi setups or home theater builds (in the literal wood and nails sense), you should check out the Hardware Showcase subforum. Some crazy stuff in there. https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=202
When I use the words build or built  I mean physically building it.  Like wiring in all of my leds, building my Pi cases, making a lighting frame for the TV and running all of the cabling.  Software wise mine is as stock as a rock LibreELEC, Xubuntu, Windows 10 and Kodi.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
My first usage of Kodi was actually as an STB for streaming video clients of the main events room at an anime con.  We were testing Xbox's running Linux and VLC, it was pretty obtuse, XBMC proved to be a vastly superior option and it let us cheap the 'cheap' Xbox's we cold get used.  I only had to make them play an STRM file on a loop and they'd just keep connecting to the server and display video.

Then after the con I had these boxes left over, used one for Media and my home use grew from there.
@Ulvinn for "whole house" integration, you'll want to control those lights, blinds etc from places other than just Kodi.

For this I would use homeassistant (http://home-assistant.io) for home automation control. There are others, but I favour home assistant as being open source and moving ahead at a rapid pace, with a great community.

Whatever home control system you use, it will be network controllable, so use this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256170 addon and set it to send commands to your home control system on almost any kodi event (eg triggered by play, pause, stop etc).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What he said. House automation is for automation servers. Kodi is a great client for those then Smile

Projector with automated 108 inch screen here including lights dimmed by kodi on the usual events (pause, unpause stop). Also a cinema vision setup for the real cinema feeling Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
For me the cinema vision setup gives the worst of what I see in movie theatres: adverts, trailers, and similar crap. But, each to their own!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickr Thanks for the recommendation. I've tried a few other solutions that weren't completely to my liking, homeassistant looks promising
(2018-02-01, 21:57)tjay260476 Wrote: 2 Pi here, one in living room, one with a PJ in the bedroom, my physical server running hyper v with OMV and TVHEADEND runnng. 20GB Ram and 17Tb storage. A man of extremes here!
 Why do something half-hearted when you can go all in Wink
@Ulvinn forgot to mention that I will also use HomeAssistant with Kodi. I've already set this one up and also "wrote" a hass.io add-on for knxd, so that I can connect the KNX component of HomeAssistant to my KNX bus with a cheapo TPUART KNX-USB stick (from busware) instead of requiring a more expensive commercial IP Interface actuator. Link to my repo with the add-on is on the homeassistant forum.
(2018-02-02, 11:01)da-anda Wrote: @Ulvinn forgot to mention that I will also use HomeAssistant with Kodi. I've already set this one up and also "wrote" a hass.io add-on for knxd, so that I can connect the KNX component of HomeAssistant to my KNX bus with a cheapo TPUART KNX-USB stick (from busware) instead of requiring a more expensive commercial IP Interface actuator. Link to my repo with the add-on is on the homeassistant forum.
 Sweet, haven't had time to go through the homeassistant forum yet, same user name there?
(2018-02-02, 11:20)Ulvinn Wrote: same user name there?
yes. Related thread over there in case you'd like to use knxd https://community.home-assistant.io/t/wi...d-on/38108 (note that my add-on is not required when you have a commercial IP KNX-Interface)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unusual setup with Kodi0