Gray 16:9 bars instead of black when color space is set in accordance to the wiki
Greetings,

I've set my HTPC to playback using the "Limited, Full, Limited" RGB color space. However, when doing so the KODI interface itself draws the black 16:9 borders in gray instead of absolute black during movie playback.
Wiki entry: https://kodi.wiki/view/video_levels_and_color_space

I'm guessing it's due to running limited in KODI. Are any other seeing the same as well? I've not seen any posts about it and since it's the recommended way of setting up the color space I'd guess more would have run into this.

I'll get a picture of it if it's of interest.
HTPC: NVIDIA GT 1030 with latest drivers, HDMI WASAPI, Windows 10 x64
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2060
Speakers: Canton Chrono system
Is your TV set to "Limited" (referred to as "Low" on my Samsung TV) also? If my TV is set to Full it looks like you describe, but set to "Low" all is well.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
My TV's set to Low as in Limited as well as calibrated.
So you've actually set the GPU to Full, and Kodi to Limited with successfull results? Cause Full, Limited, Limited looks ok in regards to the 16:9 boarders but causes other issues.
HTPC: NVIDIA GT 1030 with latest drivers, HDMI WASAPI, Windows 10 x64
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2060
Speakers: Canton Chrono system
(2018-02-06, 09:40)MutatedHero Wrote: My TV's set to Low as in Limited as well as calibrated.
So you've actually set the GPU to Full, and Kodi to Limited with successfull results? Cause Full, Limited, Limited looks ok in regards to the 16:9 boarders but causes other issues.
For my Win 10 Kodi (Intel GPU, see my sig for specs) I use the following:

Kodi - Limited
Intel Driver:
Quantization Range - Full
YCbCr - Off
Video Input Range - Application Setting
Samsung TV - Low

I get correct BtB & WtW (calibrated with with the AVS HD 709 calibration videos and Disney World of Wonder files ripped from blu-ray). The borders at the top and bottom of the screen are inky black. I *think* those settings are "Limited, Full, Limited", but I could be mistaken.

Edit: Using these settings, I get my BtB & WtW points set with Kodi's Brightness & Contrast settings at right around 49-50 for both.

The TV was calibrated first (for the HDMI port I use for Kodi) using the Disney WoW blu-ray in a blu-ray player. Then I connected my Kodi HTPC.

I get the same results with the LibreElec HTPC connected to the same port.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gray 16:9 bars instead of black when color space is set in accordance to the wiki0