Newbie Mac mini setup help needed
Question 
I am a complete Kodi newbie so forgive my massive ignorance.

I have a mid-2011 Mac mini, running macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), onto which I want to install the most recent version of Kodi (v17.6).

What I am looking to do is simply have a closed local network setup to stream my own movie and TV collection from the Mac mini to the televisions in my house.

The issue I’m trying to solve is that I have two TVs that currently are connected to ATV3s. I know there is no way to run Kodi on them.

How do I stream to the TVs? From what I’ve read, it seems that ATV4s are suboptimal, at best. Is there another way that will work with my Mac?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
You can use airplay mirroring to mirror the Mac screen with kodi on it to the atv3 - but don‘t expect it to be hassle free (WiFi and streaming compression will reduce quality) - beside that you should consider connecting the Mac directly to the tv via hdmi ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2018-02-06, 09:08)Memphiz Wrote:  beside that you should consider connecting the Mac directly to the tv via hdmi ...
 Problem with that is theres a known Apple bug with the Mini's under High Sierra where they won't boot to other than a black screen on the TV using the onboard HDMI port. It'll work fine down-rev'ed to Sierra, or if insistent on High Sierra a Mini-displayport to HDMI adapter works. I agree though with the rest of your synopsis.
Wow - that would be a serious apple bug. I don‘t see this behavior on my macmini mid 2012 which is connected to my tv via hdmi and running high sierra.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Mac mini setup help needed0