Gahh. So sick of playback stopping if you try and FF past live tv
Siitting and watching a show tonight and I had paused it for a few minutes.  I then tried to fwd jump and get caught back up to live tv.   If I get too close to live tv the playback just quits and it dumps you back out to the recording list.  So I can never get back to live tv.   So frustrating.....
posts like this without a debug log are equally as frustrating
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
It's not a bug. It's a limitation of Kodi's PVR clients. Up until v17, playing back a recording-in-progress plays the file as if it were a video, not a live stream. Therefore, if you attempt to seek beyond "now", you are attempting to access beyond the end of the file, and playback will cease.

v18 introduces the ability for PVR clients to signify that playback of a recording-in-progress is a livestream. This means that when you reach "now" when seeking beyond the end of the file, it will keep you at the end of the stream rather than ceasing playback.

Of course, just because Kodi allows PVR clients to do this, does not mean that the clients will implement it. I do not know if the HTSP client for v18 treats recordings-in-progress as livestreams. If it does, that ought to fix this situation. However, it will not be backported to Kodi v17.

So ultimately: not a bug, just a difference between implementation and expectations. The next version of Kodi will possibly ease your frustration, if the HTSP client changes the way it handles recordings-in-progress.
I hear ya.  But this is not some random failure.  It's been this way forever.  Super easy to reproduce.  It's just lame.  Sorry, I know it's not helpful.  I had just twice tried to fast forward to live tv and both times it had dropped back to the recording list.  Aobut the 3rd time I tried and then decided that I had to stop short of live tv just had me frustrated.  if the pvr addon knows it's in the process of playing back and recording and it runs out of data (because it's caught up to live tv) it would seem like the api would allow it to just simply wait for more data instead of declaring "end of file" and dropping back to the recording list.
(2018-02-06, 03:43)rykr Wrote: Siitting and watching a show tonight and I had paused it for a few minutes.  I then tried to fwd jump and get caught back up to live tv.   If I get too close to live tv the playback just quits and it dumps you back out to the recording list.  So I can never get back to live tv.   So frustrating.....

The solution is to watch from live TV, not from an in-progress recording (assuming you have enabled a timeshift buffer). See my post above to understand why.
(2018-02-06, 04:23)rykr Wrote: I hear ya.  But this is not some random failure.  It's been this way forever.  Super easy to reproduce.  It's just lame.  Sorry, I know it's not helpful.  I had just twice tried to fast forward to live tv and both times it had dropped back to the recording list.  Aobut the 3rd time I tried and then decided that I had to stop short of live tv just had me frustrated.  if the pvr addon knows it's in the process of playing back and recording and it runs out of data (because it's caught up to live tv) it would seem like the api would allow it to just simply wait for more data instead of declaring "end of file" and dropping back to the recording list.

It's been this way forever because Kodi was never originally designed as a PVR system. Therefore recordings are treated the same as movies in your library, not how you would expect them on a STB from a TV provider. The next version will offer an API to PVR client developers to "fix" this behavior, but only if the PVR client authors implement the change.
(2018-02-06, 04:21)rpcameron Wrote: It's not a bug. It's a limitation of Kodi's PVR clients. Up until v17, playing back a recording-in-progress plays the file as if it were a video, not a live stream. Therefore, if you attempt to seek beyond "now", you are attempting to access beyond the end of the file, and playback will cease.

v18 introduces the ability for PVR clients to signify that playback of a recording-in-progress is a livestream. This means that when you reach "now" when seeking beyond the end of the file, it will keep you at the end of the stream rather than ceasing playback.

Of course, just because Kodi allows PVR clients to do this, does not mean that the clients will implement it. I do not know if the HTSP client for v18 treats recordings-in-progress as livestreams. If it does, that ought to fix this situation. However, it will not be backported to Kodi v17.

So ultimately: not a bug, just a difference between implementation and expectations. The next version of Kodi will possibly ease your frustration, if the HTSP client changes the way it handles recordings-in-progress.
Good explanation.  Thanks
Here is the the feature request: https://tvheadend.org/issues/3991

Regards.
(2018-02-06, 08:40)jlazkano Wrote: Here is the the feature request: https://tvheadend.org/issues/3991

Regards.

No, this is another feature, though related.

This is basically about being able to record from the current timeshift position or even from beginning of timeshift buffer.

Currently, when watching tv time shifted and hitting record, this starts to record the show which is currently live, not the show you are currently watching time shifted.
(2018-02-06, 04:21)rpcameron Wrote: It's not a bug. It's a limitation of Kodi's PVR clients. Up until v17, playing back a recording-in-progress plays the file as if it were a video, not a live stream. Therefore, if you attempt to seek beyond "now", you are attempting to access beyond the end of the file, and playback will cease.

I agree, that from user's perspective this is a bug. Nobody expects the described current behavior.

Your explanation of *how* it has been fixed is not 100% correct, but you are right that it can work in v18 if pvr add-ons are adapted properly. ;-)

And yes, pvr.hts is already adapted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gahh. So sick of playback stopping if you try and FF past live tv0