Always play to uPnP
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a solution to play music in my house.  The music is stored on my NAS, which serves uPnP.  Kodi can see it fine, and play it on the Kodi device or on a uPnP device (a Samsung TV) with "play using".  Everything seems to be working.

However I have to use "play using" every time I play another song/album.  If I forget, the song on the TV stops and the new song starts on the computer.  Is it possible to make Kodi default to the particular external device, or at least remember the last one it used?

Ideally I'd like to be able to use a Kodi instance (on a phone or tablet) to control several speakers around the house, which it can do no problem, but without having to select the right speaker for every song. 

Thanks!
-Mark
Hello marksmith

That's not the best setup. uPNP can be quite limiting. Have you considered adding SMB shares and adding the music to your library? You will have a 1000 times more functionality.

Moved to Music forum
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
OK, thanks, doing it over SMB seems to lay out the files more nicely...

...but it doesn't seem to affect the subject of the question at all.
In case it should be helpful to someone stumbling upon this post in the future, I have found a solution: the default player can be set in the advanced settings file.  I'm using Linux, so I created the file
    /home/mark/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
and in it put
    <advancedsettings>
        <audio>
            <defaultplayer>Living Room</defaultplayer>
        </audio>
    </advancedsettings>
where `Living Room` is the name exactly as shown in the "Play to..." menu.
(2018-02-12, 22:02)marksmith Wrote: In case it should be helpful to someone stumbling upon this post in the future, I have found a solution: the default player can be set in the advanced settings file.  I'm using Linux, so I created the file
    /home/mark/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
and in it put
    <advancedsettings>
        <audio>
            <defaultplayer>Living Room</defaultplayer>
        </audio>
    </advancedsettings>
where `Living Room` is the name exactly as shown in the "Play to..." menu.
This method doesn't work. Playback STOPS after first track. I don't understand why Kodi developers ignore this. I want to listen ALL tracks in folder on UPNP device and can't do that. Players switch every time.
(2021-04-05, 12:27)fominator Wrote: I don't understand why Kodi developers ignore this.
@fominator we are all volunteers and we work on what interests us, giving our time and expertise free. If it happens that no one has the spare time, skill or interest to work on the features or bug that you want then that is just how it is.
(2021-04-05, 12:37)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 12:27)fominator Wrote: I don't understand why Kodi developers ignore this.
@fominator we are all volunteers and we work on what interests us, giving our time and expertise free. If it happens that no one has the spare time, skill or interest to work on the features or bug that you want then that is just how it is.
i understand that
I have to chime in as well.  I think KODI is great, far more sophisticated than I thought it would be.  But unless I am missing something, I too can't see why the program apparently does not let you queue up more than one file if you use a playlist AND stream to a Upnp device, like the Linn Sneaky that I use.  Linn's Windows and Mac software for this DS is horribly outdated, and Linn does not support Linux (which I use).  I have the advancedsettings.xml file configured with KODI, and Upnp is the default for one click, but after that one track, playback stops.  That's not the way playlists are supposed to work, and if all I wanted to do is go through a playlist on my local machine, I'd use my local media play files, or even VLC.
(2022-07-11, 05:29)sbryant Wrote: I have to chime in as well.  I think KODI is great, far more sophisticated than I thought it would be.  But unless I am missing something, I too can't see why the program apparently does not let you queue up more than one file if you use a playlist AND stream to a Upnp device, like the Linn Sneaky that I use.  Linn's Windows and Mac software for this DS is horribly outdated, and Linn does not support Linux (which I use).  I have the advancedsettings.xml file configured with KODI, and Upnp is the default for one click, but after that one track, playback stops.  That's not the way playlists are supposed to work, and if all I wanted to do is go through a playlist on my local machine, I'd use my local media play files, or even VLC.

The Mezzmo Kodi addon I support allows a play from here option against a uPNP music source list of music files / playlist.  As well you can access music playlists on a uPNP server.  It also has a resume feature for listing to long tracks and audio books.  I am not sure if this is what you are looking for.  You can see more on all of the capabilities on the Wiki. 

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Always play to uPnP0