Linux Volume Not Level with Other TV Inputs (name broadcast TV)
Hi all,

It's something that I have always lived with without looking into it much. No googling that I have done has got me closer to answering this.

Switching from terrestrial TV over to my HDMI input for my Kodi box and playing a downloaded video file gives be a vastly different audio volume level. It's a simple issue that I find difficult to explain (sorry). Let me just describe it like this. I'm watching the news with the volume set to 15/100, switch to my Kodi input and play a film, the volume at 15/100 is far too low. I am having to pump up the volume to near 85/100 to be at the same practical volume output as I was when watching the news.

The only setting I have found was the Kodi Volume Amplification setting that works to a certain extent but can make the audio quality seem boomy. Is there something that I can do to bring the Kodi and TV volume output to match? Is this just the way it is? Perhaps the audio files are just encoded like this (it seems to be with everyone I have ever played 1000s)?

Setup is an RPi2 with a Sony W650 TV. (it has seemed the case when using different PIs and TVs)

Any suggestions or explanations are greatly received. Thanks,
Have you adjusted the Kodi volume, it's + (plus) and - (minus) on a keyboard.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2018-02-08, 06:32)Milhouse Wrote: Have you adjusted the Kodi volume, it's + (plus) and - (minus) on a keyboard.
 I had this just yesterday.  I was convinced my AVR/Sub was playing up until I discovered that the kids had turned Kodi's volume down by 25%.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I think this is as much a linux issue as a kodi/RPi issue, as I've always had this with my 9 year old MythTV system, which has had several variations of motherboard, video card, and different TV brands. I assumed it was the mythtv frontend until I switched to kodi about a year ago and had the same effect. The only time i've gotten around this was when I had a programmable remote that could control the tv volume and so I could set the PC permanently to max volume. It wasn't ideal though - as you've found already, depending on which volume control you use, that can change the dynamics of the sound.
Maybe this is a HDMI thing, have you tried using some other way of transmitting the sound ie via analogue audio leads to the TVs audio inputs (if it has them)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume Not Level with Other TV Inputs (name broadcast TV)0