Req Official Kodi Addon - Partnership With Netflix
Hi,

I'm a currently paying Netflix subscriber who is paying the monthly subscription fee for access to the Netflix service. With the addition of DRM in Kodi 18. I'm currently suggesting whether the Kodi Project (Kodi Foundation) would consider entering into a partnership with Netflix. I would like to see an official addon in the Official channel for the Netflix service produced for Kodi 18.0.

If you wish to do so you can contact their Corporate offices through:-
Quote:pr<at>netflix<dot>com
Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

P.S. If this isn't the correct forum to place it in - please move it moderators!

Kind Regards,

MrGrymReaper
Let's say they are very likely are not having interest in working with us.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Actually they are interested if you contact them and request a partnership. At the very least it would set the ball rolling
Where would you get that idea? You know something we don't?
As a subscriber I talked to the customer support representative and they said to contact corporate offices or PR to form a partnership. To work on creating an official addon.
Anyway she seemed quite interested when I mentioned you had added DRM to Kodi 18.
Actually it's already available in v17 but not as complete. Usually you talk to those people and then in the end nothing happens cause their boss doesn't like it. We're not new to this
I've already made it known to them that I would like them to have one so there can be an add-on in the Official channel. If enough of others of their subscribers who have Kodi can do the same; then we would likely see the boss change their tune.

Especially if it is a condition of them using and having a subscription to the service!
Thread moved to addon requests
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I've spoken with Netflix's partnership team before. They said they would never certify other platforms such as ours, but could potential certify device+platform, i.e. `Kodi on Raspberry PI running Linux` specifically. The likelihood is low we'd ever get certified on platforms they support already (so android, mac, windows, etc is out)
In addition, they would require 100% control over the look/feel/etc. Since we do not support HTML5 (the common language 90% of their apps use) they aren't interested in funding/investing in making an app, so we would have to that ourselves, in order to submit for certification. They said their UI/recommendation engine is almost as important as the media.

This is above and beyond the DRM support, etc.

I pointed out 'they dont certify platforms with browsers, all thats required is a supported browser+widevine and they disagreed with me.

There's a reason why 'unofficial netflix apps' don't exist.

tldr: Even if we found a way to replicate their entire experience in a Python addon, they still wouldn't certify the addon on any platforms we have Widevine support on, but feel free to reach out to them more for clarification. A random CSR is trained to agreeable, but I don't even think they work for Netflix themselves, would need management to care.
(2018-02-11, 06:46)keith Wrote: Since we do not support HTML5 (the common language 90% of their apps use) they aren't interested in funding/investing in making an app, so we would have to that ourselves, in order to submit for certification. They said their UI/recommendation engine is almost as important as the
Do you know the status of the kodi-web project to integrate Chromium HTML5 webbrowser into Kodi?

https://github.com/kodi-web

As I understand it that could allow HTML5 apps like Netflix to be used ‘as-is’ in Kodi?

http://esmasol.de/open-source/kodi-add-o...b-browser/

Sure that is not full Netflix integration however it is a start and probably something that Netflix management would approve as they could keep their GUI.

If that large and hard step is taken first then might be easier to take another step towards further integration later?
I am more than willing to contact netflix on behalf of Kodi in regard to getting an official addon if there is no team member that has the time to do so.
Please don't act on behalf of us. You are of course still free to ask them but ask a use.
From a business point of view an user (that i am not) asking for a device/system to be supported is less likely to be taken seriously compared to a company that is encouraging the inclusion of their system.

I will respect your wishes and I will not make contact with them.
@RockerC I do not know the status of that project. But as I stated, even if we had the GUI, they would only approve platforms which they do not run on already, so it seems like we can't get 'full' approval.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Official Kodi Addon - Partnership With Netflix1