Kodi goes black screen when turning off / on TV
So this weird problem started, whenever I turn on the TV, Kodi goes black screen and I have to alt+tab and close the application and relaunch. 

After much trial and error, it seems that the problem actually starts when I turn off the TV; when I start a video file and turn off the TV, the audio still runs in the background, but gets jerky and drops in and out for about 30 seconds, and when the audio stops I turn on the TV again, and get the black screen. If I turn on the TV before the 30-ish seconds (and the audio is still there) the playback returns and the audio returns as well.

I'm not entirely sure when this started, but I noticed it when Microsoft released the "fall update" or whatever, I got a weird "black screen" problem that reset the screen whenever I refreshed the screen (with alt+tab or windows button, etc). There was a lot of other people with that same problem, and that was solved with using "fullscreen" instead of "run in full screen window". Maybe it's been a problem for longer, just got triggered when I changed the full screen mode, but I guess I'll never know that for sure.

My setup is as standard as it gets, a Windows 10 machine on a standard Intel HD 4400 integrated graphics, nothing fancy.

I've pasted my debug log here: https://paste.ubuntu.com/=7g9nRrh7WG/. This log is a clean log from startup > start of video file > turn off TV > black screen. It covers only a few minutes, still it got to the size of 5 MB.

I've seen the same problem reported before (249306 (thread)), but on a different Kodi version. In the previous thread there were no solution, and I've been googling and swearing for days now.

I'm hoping for some Kodi wizards with some ideas out there..?
It most likely is the result of the latest Fall Creators Update pushed by Microsoft. During the install, the graphics drivers were replaced by the Microsoft sanctioned versions.

I have the same problem now. So I mapped the "\" key to a button on my remote. When I switch on the TV now, a quick double click on that button revives the display. Not ideal, but have been a bit lazy and haven't searched for the previous version drivers.

I am using Intel HD4600 integrated graphics on my 2013 HTPC.

No use checking out the logs as it is a driver issue. But thanks for offering them up first post Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-02-12, 00:42)Karellen Wrote: It most likely is the result of the latest Fall Creators Update pushed by Microsoft. During the install, the graphics drivers were replaced by the Microsoft sanctioned versions.

I have the same problem now. So I mapped the "\" key to a button on my remote. When I switch on the TV now, a quick double click on that button revives the display. Not ideal, but have been a bit lazy and haven't searched for the previous version drivers.

I am using Intel HD4600 integrated graphics on my 2013 HTPC.

No use checking out the logs as it is a driver issue. But thanks for offering them up first post Smile
 Yes, all the problems started after the fall creators update. Although, at first, I had the issue where the screen would come back if "refreshed" somehow, for example toggle between window mode and full screen mode (like the trick you proposed), but thats not working anymore. It worked as long as I used the "full screen window", but then some other scaling problems occurred, so I had to switch to "real full screen mode", which mess up everything. So no shortcuts like "\" works anymore. Only manually close->open or reboot. I probably don't have to tell you how annoying that is Wink

I also think it's a little too easy to blame the drivers too, sure, it started after the update, but every other app does not have the issue. If the Windows desktop is open, and I power cycle the TV, everything returns as normal. Its only full screen Kodi that have the issue!
Yes, you have a point, and I cannot adequately explain it. I raised the same question when the problem occurred with me, but was pointed to MS and drivers, but no explanation why Kodi is affected.

Also with that same update, I had the problem of Kodi suddenly crashing every time I tried playing a video. Here I was told to disable Adjust Display Refresh Rate, which fixed the crashing problem.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hmm, another thing that struck me today is, if its a graphic display driver issue, how is it that both the audio *and* the actual playback creeps to a halt over 30 seconds? Does not sound very logical to me..?
Still no devs with any ideas?

I tried installing a nightly build today of v18 Leia, but still the same issue here.
Still an issue after the spring update. Also, v18.
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T
Hi all.
I got the same issue.
Any news to this thread?

Regards
Suffice to say I don't have this issue at all, but then I'm running 'SMCK' windows 7. But given the graphic engines around these days, and the expectations users have, it's no wonder there is problems. First off is the amount of ram dedicated towards graphics, if there's not enough for two devices and some chip power to move blocks of this mem to the screen, you're going to get drop outs and in some cases entire instructions missed to redraw possible, throw in handshaking issues and you have one busy system (especially shared mem), but really no excuse, so use windowing, then we can point the finger at MS for it routines and try an open only one screen at a time to keep your card a bit cooler and memory efficient. Overclock it, to see if some solve would come about pushing it over the edge. Kodi wasn't designed with multi-tasking in mind, but as Leia is developed, I've notice nice improvements almost on a daily basis. The latest for me is back to multi-tasking two displays without the secondary Kodi on it minimizing.

Be aware shutting down the TV will cause handshaking to be lost along with the video configuration and the HDMI waspi which means the default setting for DirectSound rules. Some proper debug logs would be nice.
This is happening to me as well. Did anyone find a solution?

One interesting point is that if I connect to my Windows 10 machine using RealVNC, as soon as it connects, it refreshes Kodi as well, so my solution is to connect / disconnect from VNC. However, this is not a good solution permanently, but maybe it can give a hint as to what the problem is? Alternatively, is there some key / command that can be sent to Kodi to refresh its screen?
I posted logs here

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335298
This problem is infuriating, but I do have a solution to wake the screen back up:

Pin Kodi to the first position on your windows taskbar. Then bind "Windows + 1" to a remote button. That's the keyboard shortcut for clicking on the first taskbar item. I named the action "Start Kodi". Just press it when the screen goes black and it will recover. Then just wait a few seconds for Kodi to regain focus.

I'm using a Logitech Harmony remote. The worst is when the TV loses its handshake while watching a show. Everything goes black.. TV freaks out. Usually need to turn the TV and receiver off and on again for it to recover. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often. The black screen when I turn on the TV happens a lot more often.
I'm using a cec remote and my solution was to press OK at lot of times so that a video is being started. That actually brings the display back. Don't like it... But it works.
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi goes black screen when turning off / on TV0