Xbox One S vs Xbox One X 4K HDR Performance
Photo 
Hi friends. I just purchased a 4k TV and I'm thinking of getting a xbox one for 4k bluray and kodi and I'm wondering if there is any difference between performance between the one x and one s?

I know that 10bit 4k isn't quite ready on kodi yet but with a view of looking into the future.
The x is superior machine by far, it's next generation machine.
The x version can run games on 4k native 60 fps, the s version can only upscale from 1080.
Only DVD is 4k in s version, other (movies/games) is upscaled.
If you looking into future, x is definitely your answer (I got the s and replaced it with x so I know both systems).
Don't get me wrong the s is excellent console but the x is far better.

Regarding Kodi,
It's still alpha (no matter if it's x or s) and you can be sure that soon it will be the best and run all, as always.
I guess the question is, when kodi on the xbox one gets to proper release, would you need to have the s or even the x to play 4k hdr video, or will that play on all xbox one models? I just assumed that the xbox one hardware was beefy enough on even the earliest models to be able to play back 4k hdr.
I don't think there will be much of a difference in performance once HW acceleration is properly implemented. Even the "fat" modell is able to play back HEVC 4K media just fine using plex. Though it will only be displayed in 1080p 8bit of course.

I wouldn't expect a working build to play 4K media for another few months, as the current build is still using the "old" UWP SDK.

Just be patient...

Greets,
ASN
(2018-02-13, 14:56)MrASN Wrote: Even the "fat" modell is able to play back HEVC 4K media just fine using plex
Really? Is it possible? Even newer GCN cards than XONE (2013) don't have HEVC on PC.
Isn't Plex transcoding video?

Update:
Indeed MS did it in 2015. One S didn't exit at this time, so it must be fat.
https://wccftech.com/xbox-update-fixes-m...-detailed/

I wonder what are limitations on fat. I tested a few hevc sample a year ago on VLC and it looked like slowed SW decode. Maybe VLC didn't enable HW, I need to test Plex in coming days.
" Though it will only be displayed in 1080p 8bit of course"

That is the limitation of fat.  It should be able to decode the files, but your output is going to be limited to 1080p.
Hi All,

I have Xbox One S and i'm having some issues on Kodi, i had tried 4k movie with 8 bits and 10 bits, none of them worked fine.
At 8 bits codec movie goes smoothie but i think there are some errors at my config. Or do i need a XBOX One X?
Can anyone please, send me a good config for XBOX?

Best Regards,

Zeca
(2018-08-10, 01:45)zecacm Wrote: Hi All,

I have Xbox One S and i'm having some issues on Kodi, i had tried 4k movie with 8 bits and 10 bits, none of them worked fine.
At 8 bits codec movie goes smoothie but i think there are some errors at my config. Or do i need a XBOX One X?
Can anyone please, send me a good config for XBOX?

Best Regards,

Zeca
does xbox one s play 1080 10 bit hevc smoothly?

Also would like to know if once hardware acceleration is implemented, will one s be good enough for 4k 8/10 bit playback..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One S vs Xbox One X 4K HDR Performance0