Solved Using vi on LibreELEC
I am logging in remotely to my Raspberry PI running Kodi on LibreELEC and using the vi text editor to edit files. I tried creating a .exrc file (and a .vimrc file just in case) in the root home directory (/storage) but vi ignores it. I was unable to create a system wide init file in the /etc directory because it is mounted read only. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks
mount -o remount,rw /flash
The Busybox version of vi doesn't support $HOME/.exrc or $HOME/.vimrc.

If you install the System Tools addon from the LibreELEC Repository it will install vim, which should work.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Please know that, your changes in the /system partition will be wiped with every new upgrade/downgrade of LibreELEC.

For the /storage partition, you have root user rights from the start. Nano or vi should not have any problem in that area.
Thanks so much to everyone for the prompt replies. Milhouse, I installed System Tools and I'm now happily using vim with my favorite options set on initialization.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using vi on LibreELEC0