Why are all Leia builds completely unstable?
I try a new build every month or so and they all crash at random times... usually when watching a video or during menu navigation.  (logs and crash traces here... https://ufile.io/6d1mz )

the only 98% stable build is from WAY BACK... from May 2017!

When I use installer 'KodiSetup-20170524-421033dc2b-master-x64' I rarely get any issues, almost never crashes.

I know its still Alpha and I know YMMV but I've used Alphas for Kodi & XBMC since it was on XBOX and this by far the least stable set of builds I've ever seen at 6+ months in.

Whats the deal?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2018-02-18, 06:00)Livin Wrote: Whats the deal?
20:36:44.441 T:5876 NOTICE: ADDON: repository.noobsandnerds v2.3.0 installed

Perhaps you can first stop installing crap / banned repositories and their add-ons before you start pointing your finger.
Someone with 3700+ posts on this forum should know better by now.
(2018-02-18, 06:28)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-02-18, 06:00)Livin Wrote: Whats the deal?
20:36:44.441 T:5876 NOTICE: ADDON: repository.noobsandnerds v2.3.0 installed

Perhaps you can first stop installing crap / banned repositories and their add-ons before you start pointing your finger.
Someone with 3700+ posts on this forum should know better by now.
... That is 100% irrelevant
And IF you must know... It's not enabled and it's only the repo, I forgot it was even there. I uninstalled it just now now but that is irrelevant to my question. That was installed ages ago just to see what it was. So stop deflecting

And after uninstall of your sore spot it's still hung 2 seconds into a video.

Maybe I'm the only per person having problems but I doubt it. I've used 3 totally different Pcs since may 2017 and kodi builds are horrible on all of them.
(2018-02-18, 06:33)Livin Wrote: And IF you must know... It's not enabled and it's only the repo, I forgot it was even there. I uninstalled it just now now but that is irrelevant to my question. That was installed ages ago just to see what it was. So stop deflecting
Stop deflecting...?

You should know by now that here at the Kodi forum we play at OUR forum rules (wiki), not yours. Perhaps you need to re-read them after such a long time.
We simply have a zero tolerance on illegal banned addons (wiki) and repositories and get itchy pretty quickly, especially when we are getting blamed for other people's actions. They also have a habit of installing additional unstable crap in the background. Things that can affect Kodi's functionality. So it's NOT that irrelevant.

Also, don't tell us what to do or how to do our job. It doesn't sit well with us.
I've been using Leia Alpha for months more or less issue free. I suspect that some 3rd party add-ons have compromised the base code, and a simple disable or un-install would not return the set-up to virgin territory (we have little patience with banned add-ons that are badly coded). I'd suggest a basic portable install, ensure it's operability in all aspects; (suspect hardware incompatabilities) if that should fail a proper debug-log of that portable install; posted here would shine a bit of light on this.
Thx for the help.

I have always run in portable mode. I remove all code except my portable user data before updating to a new build.

I don't understand how a plugin, especially a repo connector that is disabled, could compromise kodi stability or code ?

Looking at the logs, one crash looked related to WASAPI and the other to a video issue.

I'm running the latest build for only 1 hour and it's crashed or hung playing a video... 5 times. At different places during navigation and playing different videos
Right now it's been fine for 30 minutes playing a video it hung on... So we'll see what happens.

Thx again.
" don't understand how a plugin, especially a repo connector "

Be sure any installation can install it's own libraries and smart code just about anywhere on your system with an install executable, that's how viri etc get into machines, regardless of repo or add-on, it's all code and you're not directing it. Not to suggest 3rd party add-ons have viri, but more or less to point out that the coding in a lot of these 3rd party programs are not well vetted, and don't take into account the many different hardware configurations, some of which just don't run with them well at all.

" related to WASAPI and the other to a video issue. " " hung playing a video... 5 times. "

Smacks of video hardware, what kind of graphic engine do you have? p.s. have a quick read of the Caution: add-ons you install.
(2018-02-18, 07:21)Livin Wrote: I'm running the latest build for only 1 hour and it's crashed or hung playing a video... 5 times. At different places during navigation and playing different videos

If everyone's experience was like this then I would think the forum would be flooded with people complaining, however it's not. You mention running on three different PC's, is the hardware similar in anyway? or are they all completely different CPU/GPU combinations?
I haven't experienced all these "constant crashes" on win 7 or 8.1 with NVidia GPUs myself.  I'm running 180121 x64 nightly on my skin dev system and I have 180106 x64 on my main HTPC in semi-production mode (i.e., running all my "normal" addons).  I don't have more than "normal" (i.e., infrequent) crashes.  I have one repeatable crash in music playlist window but it is sort of an edge case that few users would experience.

scott s.
The hardware I've ran has been two different laptops (dell and hp) and now a dell desktop. The common thread is that they are all Windows 10 and Intel cpu and gpu. But, running 17.x they never crashed, ever. Library is in mysql, on my NAS and smb connected.

Also, I run Leia in FireTV and it has been solid.
Tonight every video I played hung at about the 2 or 3 second mark... oddly, if I select 'Pause' and then 'Play' it continues properly.

log attached... https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/GBzkK8dh9r/
Not a debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-02-19, 06:37)Livin Wrote: Tonight every video I played hung at about the 2 or 3 second mark... oddly, if I select 'Pause' and then 'Play' it continues properly.

log attached... https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/GBzkK8dh9r/

Livin,

Couple of things from the log you posted. Main one is that your log is not a DEBUG log (line 137 of your posted log file), so missing information that may be helpful in diagnosing your problem. There is an awful lot of audio system errors, so possibly a source of the problem. There are also a large number of skin.helper script errors relating to what I assume is the skin you are using. Is the skin compatible with Kodi Leia? Maybe switch to the default skin and see if issue is still there.

You mention that you are running in portable mode, but was it a completely clean system to start with or have you migrated from one or more earlier releases of Kodi. I ask this as I have been bitten by this in the past. Sometimes there has been something corrupted in one of the databases and it might not even be an issue for a couple of releases and then it bites you.

Other than that until you provide a Full Debug log it is difficult to say for sure what is going on.

Wyrm (AppTV)
Try a clean Kodi install WITHOUT the EstuaryMOD v2 skin. That skin does also install a number of bells and whistles in the background, and makes the Kodi experience perhaps not for the better during the Alpha developement. Seeing your log file, that skin does have a number of hiccups. Just try to minimize the "outside interference" for Kodi, so problems can be pinpointed more accurately.
Guys - good help, I appreciate it!  As I mentioned, the odd thing is tht FireTV (Android) version works flwlesly with the exact same config: EstuaryMOD v2, MySQL backend, same add-ons, etc.

Debug log is on now - and I'll move to default skin and clean out everything from EstuaryMOD ... will report back in a day or two.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why are all Leia builds completely unstable?1