Why are all Leia builds completely unstable?
Looking at logs from first post, opening the audio device is seriously messed up as it can't find the selected audio deice, next time this happens verify what is shown in Sound -> Playback tab within Windows (open by selecting speaker icon in system tray and selecting playback devices). Also do you have any other programs still open when you launch Kodi as I see in your one report of the audio device already in use?

As has been mentioned, might be best to start with a completely virgin installed and introduce things one at time after testing for stability.
I really wish some of the mods would stop with the deflecting nonsense. The comments aren't necessary at all. In regard to there not being a flood of complaints about crashing, for me, I've been stuck on a much earlier Nov build for quite some time until recently because of a certain bug related to volume control. Now there are new bugs that I will begin submitting logs for (namely crashing and video artifacts like crazy....like black blotches all over the screen constantly through playback and sometimes even the occasional chirps). I've not seen stuff like that since back in the day when minding what codecs you downloaded was a huge deal.  When someone complains, its not a personal attack on anyone doing work here. Please stop taking it as such. Its literally whats wrong with the world nowadays and it wasn't nearly an issue a few years ago. What happened? 

Debug logs with pertinent descriptions to follow. I only came on here to see if there was any evidence of a fix within and there was more poo-throwing than help at first.
(2018-02-19, 21:12)debennett2 Wrote: I really wish some of the mods would stop with the deflecting nonsense. The comments aren't necessary at all.
If you really want to comment on the ongoing forum moderation, just indicate who you are actually referring to, instead of saying "some of the mods".

Starting with a statement like "All Leia builds are completely unstable" is an unfounded and exaggerated accusation to begin with, which doesn't sit well with us. Numerous Kodi developers and testers are insulted when such remarks are being proclaimed loudly. If it were the case, we would have been bombarded with user complaints for more than 2 months already. Guess what: it is not the case.

If you have a problem with Kodi, simply provide full details, log files and/or screenshots as evidence. Blurting out that EVERYTHING is a mess will get you a fitting response. Like in simple computer terms, 'GIGO': garbage in, garbage out.
I would like to point my finger at MySQL. Since Leia I haven't been able to exit Kodi without crashing although playback itself has been fine. Whenever there are large updates going on Kodi would really slow down, at least background network connectivity would be compromised.

I've since switched to MariaDB and all my troubles are gone. No tweaking necessary.
(2018-02-19, 21:35)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-02-19, 21:12)debennett2 Wrote: I really wish some of the mods would stop with the deflecting nonsense. The comments aren't necessary at all.
If you really want to comment on the ongoing forum moderation, just indicate who you are actually referring to, instead of saying "some of the mods".

Starting with a statement like "All Leia builds are completely unstable" is an unfounded and exaggerated accusation to begin with, which doesn't sit well with us. Numerous Kodi developers and testers are insulted when such remarks are being proclaimed loudly. If it were the case, we would have been bombarded with user complaints for more than 2 months already. Guess what: it is not the case.

If you have a problem with Kodi, simply provide full details, log files and/or screenshots as evidence. Blurting out that EVERYTHING is a mess will get you a fitting response. Like in simple computer terms, 'GIGO': garbage in, garbage out. 
 side bar: You are both correct IMO
1. my thread title was not an "an unfounded and exaggerated accusation" its was a 100% accurate statement, for ME... I DEFINITELY should has put "for Me" in the title.
2. there is no reason for any mod or dev to take my post as a personal attack. I was in no way saying my issues were what everyone was seeing. I never said 'we' but always said "I" ... I'm seeing these issues

Please continue our nice on-topic convo as it seems that, as is very normal, other people are seeing issues that have gone unreported.

Per Audio observation... Yes, I noticed those issues with WASAPI in the log and recent v18 builds have problems (in my 3 different Windows systems) and are switching it to DirectSound. The build from May 2017 works fine on WASAPI, no issues at all.

Per MySQL (or video library) observation... I've been using MySQL across 2 Kodi's since early v17 and it was fine. Starting in v18 the video library is VERY VERY slow to update. Often requiring me to force it 3 or 4 times to pickup new TV Episodes and/or Movies - one not better than the other. I've even tried Watchdog and that doesnt help much, if at all. I'm not sure if it is the scraping that is slow (the logs indicate scraping is working fine) or if the MySQL update mechanisms are the issue.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Kodi Leia Alpha is in the process of switching from MySQL to MariaDB, so that may have its effect on things.
(2018-02-18, 06:00)Livin Wrote: I try a new build every month or so and they all crash at random times... usually when watching a video or during menu navigation.  (logs and crash traces here... https://ufile.io/6d1mz )

the only 98% stable build is from WAY BACK... from May 2017!

When I use installer 'KodiSetup-20170524-421033dc2b-master-x64' I rarely get any issues, almost never crashes.

I know its still Alpha and I know YMMV but I've used Alphas for Kodi & XBMC since it was on XBOX and this by far the least stable set of builds I've ever seen at 6+ months in.

Whats the deal?

I feel your pain, every time i get it set up it works for a few days then it won't even launch any more. I don't use builds cause builds suck, i just point it to my nas and watch videos from my personal library. It would seem after all these years they would have perfected Kodi but no, it's still a unstable pos! I change the background color then a day later it's back at the default. I add videos from my Nas and it refuses to add random videos. One install it will add video x next install it won't. I always have to go thru and change show info for certain shows every install. Very Very Very annoying! Clearing the cache seems to do nothing any more there's always 12mbs of something left in there. the only way to get it to 0 is to delete data and start over. I have a huge Library and it takes Kodi forever to populate everything. Thankfully i have prolly had to reinstalled it over 1 billion times so i am pretty quick at setting everything up again smmfh!
(2019-12-26, 23:58)mocity bo Wrote:
(2018-02-18, 06:00)Livin Wrote: I try a new build every month or so and they all crash at random times... usually when watching a video or during menu navigation.  (logs and crash traces here... https://ufile.io/6d1mz )

the only 98% stable build is from WAY BACK... from May 2017!

When I use installer 'KodiSetup-20170524-421033dc2b-master-x64' I rarely get any issues, almost never crashes.

I know its still Alpha and I know YMMV but I've used Alphas for Kodi & XBMC since it was on XBOX and this by far the least stable set of builds I've ever seen at 6+ months in.

Whats the deal?

It would seem after all these years they would have perfected Kodi but no, it's still a unstable pos!

All this shows is that you’re computer illiterate and encouraged to pursue another hobby.

Besides, Leia is working fine for the majority of users (ironically this thread hasn’t seen a post since early 2018 so it appears you’re doing something wrong).

At the very least post a debug log for people to narrow down your issues.
(2019-12-26, 23:58)mocity bo Wrote: I have a huge Library and it takes Kodi forever to populate everything.
This statement pretty much defines who we are addressing, no debug log no problem. Kodi is a work in progress and not for everyone.
(2019-12-26, 23:58)mocity bo Wrote: It would seem after all these years they would have perfected Kodi but no, it's still a unstable pos!
Don't like it? Use something else.
Don't feed the trolls...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why are all Leia builds completely unstable?1