how to normalise the volume across the entire Music Library
Hi folks,

there is a solution for normalising the volume across the entire Library? Like what iTunes is calling Sound Check? Is ReplayGain the solution, and how to implement in case?

Please share your thoughts ... it seems a quite difficult situation to manage Smile

Thanks for your support

Andrea
Kodi will make use of any replay gain tags that are embedded in your music files during playback. However Kodi does not provide a means of creating these tags, or identifying what values they need to have for music to be "normalised" to your satisfaction, you will need to use a separate tool for that. For the moment the name of one escapes me, but perhaps someone else can jump in with that.

I tend to play whole albums, and tweek the volume as necessary at the start, but I know that the variation of volumes on older recordings compared to newer can be an issue with mixed playlists. I'm sure there will be other Kodi users that can advise.
Not only between old and new recordings, but also between type of recordings (FLAC vs DSD).

What I need is a mechanism that can read multiple type of files (in my case, Apple Lossless, FLAC and dsf files), and manage consistently the entire library.

Sounds a bit challenging Smile

but thanks for the answer, Dave Smile

Andrea
I've used Foobar2000 to scan and embed replaygain tags in all my files. I'm not sure if it does DSD (DSF) files though as I convert all my audio to FLAC.
(2018-02-19, 22:32)HomerJau Wrote: I've used Foobar2000 to scan and embed replaygain tags in all my files. I'm not sure if it does DSD (DSF) files though as I convert all my audio to FLAC.
 Interesting ... but seems the Mac version of Foobar2000 is just a player Sad
What type of files? maybe this might help http://projects.sappharad.com/mp3gain/
Oops sorry missed you saying Apple Lossless, FLAC and dsf files above, so perhaps that's no good then.
Perhaps Audcity with this https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic...42&t=63067
(2018-02-20, 18:09)jjd-uk Wrote: Perhaps Audcity with this https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic...42&t=63067
 If I know Audacity, you can "normalise", but this results in loss of quality Sad
The audacity plugin changes the volume in the file which many users don't want.  I use MediaMonkey on windows which has the option of either modifying the file audio or writing tags to the files without changing the the actual audio.

There's also the theory question as to a possible "better" solution than the replaygain algorithm (in particular r128gain) but I don't know any tool that can apply tags on arbitrary audio file containers / tag versions for r128.

scott s.
(2018-02-21, 03:50)scott967 Wrote: ...

There's also the theory question as to a possible "better" solution than the replaygain algorithm (in particular r128gain) but I don't know any tool that can apply tags on arbitrary audio file containers / tag versions for r128.
I added R128 gain analysis and tagging to Music Media Helper app (Windows only) but it currently only supports FLAC.

I compared the results between R128 and Foobar and the two are very similar (R128 seemed to be about 1db louder)
Replaygain and normalizing are two different things. Replaygain can leave the source files untouched whereas normalizing will alter them. Also, you will never achieve a consistent volume level over all your files with replaygain, especially when using random playlists.
(2018-02-24, 22:27)HeresJohnny Wrote: Also, you will never achieve a consistent volume level over all your files with replaygain, especially when using random playlists.

But it's great if we can get something similar. At least we will not get big diferences.
In time, is there a program that manage mp3 and flac files?
Mac or windows?

Mac I use Qoobar Smile
dBpoweramp contains two "ReplayGain" plug-ins. One just calculates the required values and adds tags to your music without altering the data, and the other (called ReplayGain: Apply Gain) actually normalises the audio data. Both support the EBU-128 standard, but dBpoweramp isn't free software.

Winamp and MediaMonkey also have ReplayGain functionality, although I'm of the idea that MediaMonkey uses non-standardized tag fields, and so any volume calculations it does do, will only be reflected in MediaMonkey itself (AFAIK).

EDIT: There's also a "ReplayGain" plugin for MusicBrainz Picard available, but I've never tried it, so can't comment on it's usability (I use dbPoweramp).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to normalise the volume across the entire Music Library0