Unable to connect to smb using Ubuntu 17.10
Hi Everyone,

I just installed ubuntu 17.10 onto a PC and I having trouble getting Kodi to connect to SMB shares on my NAS. I can connect to the shares in Ubuntu ok and can connect to them using my Windows 10 PC, just not in Kodi on the ubuntu box. 

When I try to connect I simply get the error "Connection timed out".

I am pretty new to Linux, but any help would be appreciated

Oh and just FYI the NAS that I cam trying to connect to is a Synology 916+

Thanks.
If you are able to access them via Ubuntu, then simply use system mounts and let Kodi point to the mountpoint.

That would be the recommended way anyway.
"Connection timed out" suggests a failure by the client (Kodi on Ubuntu) to negotiate a suitable SMB protocol with the SMB server (the NAS).

Since Kodi 17.6 on Ubuntu should still be defaulting to SMB1 only, it sounds like your SMB server is configured to not accept SMB1 connections. To fix this you need to configure Kodi so that it will negotiate better than SMB1: in Kodi go into Settings > Services, enable Expert settings level, then in SMB Client configure "max protocol = SMB3".
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I don't seem to have adoption in set any custom settings in the SMB client settings, the only option I have is 

WINS Server 
Workgoup.
Ive found a work around, my Synology NAS was set to use SMB2 and above, so I set it back to SMB1 and now it works.
(2018-02-25, 03:03)valo265 Wrote: I don't seem to have adoption in set any custom settings in the SMB client settings, the only option I have is 

WINS Server 
Workgoup.

As I said, set your settings level to Expert - this will reveal the additional SMB Client setting. If you don't have the max protocol setting even when Expert settings is enabled then you're using a version of Kodi older than 17.4, as this setting was added in Kodi 17.4.

(2018-02-25, 04:36)valo265 Wrote: Ive found a work around, my Synology NAS was set to use SMB2 and above, so I set it back to SMB1 and now it works.

Downgrading from SMB2 to SMB1 is a really bad move from a security point of view - you've heard of WannaCry? You've now made yourself vulnerable to attacks of that nature. I would strongly suggest that you revert your NAS change, and configure Kodi appropriately (upgrading Kodi if necessary).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks I am aware of Wannacry, as I said it was a work around only, had to keep the kids happy for the weekend Smile. The NAS has been switched back to SMB2 or higher. Apparently  I am running Kodi 17.3, however I did rebuild the server yesterday and was using the build that was available in the kodi stable repo's. I am trying the nightly repos now.
_our_ stable repo has kodi 17.6 for ubuntu.

check with apt policy kodi
So I have installed 17.6  and this is the options that I have when I got into the SMB settings on expert mode

Hmm, you're sure this is 17.6? Can you double check on the System Information page?

Since 17.4 the max protocol option has been in Kodi and configured as visible for Linux (it's not visible for non-Linux platforms).
Its all good now, I have just got the v18 built and that is working fine.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I am on 17.6 on Ubuntu 17.10, and I do not have the option to change the SMB version either.
I am sick all of these timeouts.
The bug is kodi, NOT ubuntu.
I can go to ubuntu and see all of the files on my NAS just fine, but kodi loses the connection.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to connect to smb using Ubuntu 17.100