REQUEST: A skin that replicates the SKY Q skin
Hi Guys

Ive been looking all over the place for a skin for Kodi that looks like the Sky Q skin available on the Sky TV boxes here in the UK.
Ive found several 'builds' that are based on this skin and look great until you launch them and they install all manner of 'crap' on your system and trash your config with illegal plugins and the like.

What would be great is a skin that could be highly customised via the skin.shortcuts plugin 

If anyone has anything like this, or even a mod of an existing skin, that is not part of a crazy build and is fully customisable please post here.
We are not all from the UK, and we don't all use a Sky TV Box.

Post some screenshots so we understand what you are looking for.
My Signature
Links to : Forum rules (wiki) | Banned_Add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create_Music_Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki) || Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hello, thanks for the reply.

Here are some screen shots from various sources...

Firstly, original sky que from an actual sky tv box

ImageImage

Next a grab of a screen shot from a “build” which has this exact skin but is hard coded to require illegal plugins

There is also a mod for Titan which is pretty close to a good copy except for the menu is to the far left and has no preview screen.

Using skin shortcuts to build menu options and display content on the right from day your library or other sources would be great.

I’m not a coder and leave all that amazing stuff to the experts. I have the code for the existing build if anyone can modify it to use skin shortcuts etc

I have reached out to its creator, but have had no response

Thanks again

Also I accept the rules of the forum and if this request is not allowed for any reason, please remove it

Mod comment: I've blurred out the piracy/banned addons on the image, as I know you're not promoting that, merely asking about the skin. I've also removed the creator's name, as he doesn't need advertising either.
Now, this is carefully worded here, but as a former Sky Q user, I can see the attraction for a community based skin here.

Here are Sky Q’s selling points, now, some, if not all Kodi/XBMC have had before Sky Q 2 years ago!

Multi- room PVR (tv server backend)

Pause a recorded TV show, a tv episode from a box set or a movies in one room and pick up in another (MySQL database)

On Demand such as BBC IPlayer, youtube and other catchup services (addons)

Now, the biggest issue here would be is that skin would be trademarked by Sky/News Corperation/Ruper Murdock, so I think this might be the answer why there isn’t an ‘official’ Kodi skin here.... although like I said, I can see the attraction.
Server: Windows Server 2016 Standard Hyper-V with Ubuntu Server VM, NFS shares and MySQL
Kodi: 2 Raspberry Pi 3 running Libreelec
My Setup thread | Setup Ubuntu / TVH / Schedules Direct
If there's a 'build' that has this skin you can easily copy the skin folder to a proper Kodi install.
Seems a bit daft including the Sky branding, that's just asking for trouble and adds nothing.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@Milhouse that's why I included the bit about Sky/Rupert Murdock etc. A skin that even looks remotely like Sky Q, even without the branding etc, could easily too be confusing. As said previously, I see the attraction as Sky Q and the current features of Kodi are similar,

It was the reason why I came back to Kodi, as I wanted the same features of Sky Q, (Multiscreen PVR, Youtube, ability to pause and watch Movies and TV boxsets in a different room) but with my own content. 

Now, If it has Kodi branding, and was completely different colour to Skys, then maybe it might be done, but it then depends how much of it was patented/trademarked, as Sky is a BIG media Company with huge clout - and the fact they are part of ACE...... I wouldn't touch t with a bargepole!

I personally think a Sky Q type skin would just be asking for a ton of trouble.
Server: Windows Server 2016 Standard Hyper-V with Ubuntu Server VM, NFS shares and MySQL
(2018-02-25, 14:31)tjay260476 Wrote: @Milhouse that's why I included the bit about Sky/Rupert Murdock etc. A skin that even looks remotely like Sky Q, even without the branding etc, could easily too be confusing. As said previously, I see the attraction as Sky Q and the current features of Kodi are similar,

It was the reason why I came back to Kodi, as I wanted the same features of Sky Q, (Multiscreen PVR, Youtube, ability to pause and watch Movies and TV boxsets in a different room) but with my own content. 

Now, If it has Kodi branding, and was completely different colour to Skys, then maybe it might be done, but it then depends how much of it was patented/trademarked, as Sky is a BIG media Company with huge clout - and the fact they are part of ACE...... I wouldn't touch t with a bargepole!

I personally think a Sky Q type skin would just be asking for a ton of trouble.

yeah I agree that a sky branded skin would not be a good idea, however we have skins that mimic the Apple TV, skins that mimic Netflix, Windows, xBox, Hulu, Playstation, Amazon and so on and so forth - all equally large companies, who frankly, haven't cared a hoot about what we do here skin wise.  Surely if we remove the sky branding it would work.   As I said, I already have the source code of a skin that looks and feels very much like the Sky Q design but it is hard coded with illegal plugins instead of being based on Skin.Shortcuts plugin which is the way a lot of the newer skins are going these days.  

I have also seen people who have mimicked the old sky TV skin for TV guides and such and produced mod's of popular skins such as Titan with this look and feel ,just without the sky branding. I have also seen mention within these forums, people who have created Sky Q style skins but have not released them.

This is purely a wife friendly idea to make Kodi more wife friendly.
(2018-02-25, 09:55)Hitcher Wrote: If there's a 'build' that has this skin you can easily copy the skin folder to a proper Kodi install.
 Hi Hitcher, 

I have the skin code, however the code is heavily hard coded to require specific plugins as apposed to using skin.shortcuts. as most newer skins do.  This makes using this skin impossible as I do not want to use these plugins.  Plus the customisability of this skin is very limited within the skin its self.

I am by no means a coder which is why I leave this to you guys, I just come up with idea's
@Steverae 'This is purely a wife friendly idea to make Kodi more wife friendly'  - that is exactly why I can see the attraction!

To be fair, every 'home-brew' PVR has taken inspiration from the media companies set-top boxes and have come up with their own take. 

If you look at my signature I have modified Estuary for my friends to use with little to no intervention of me telling where things are, such as changing 'Favourites' to 'On Demand' and changing 'TV' to 'Live TV' etc. The menu rewording on my box (which is Sky Q inspired, even down to where they appear on the list!) is so that people who use my Raspberry Pi's are not confused by the naming structure of the menus, thereby making it more 'wife friendly' as it were.

I have found this more beneficial to friends than having a cloned skin of a commercial box. It is different enough to be 'my own' whilst on the same token similar enough for anyone (in the UK at least!) to know where things are. For example, the official BBC iPlayer is in the Favourites menu, my favourites just says 'On Demand'.

This can easily be down by cloning/downloading Kodi's stock skin, and change the necessary XML files. This might be a better solution to make it more friendly in your household.
(2018-02-25, 15:21)tjay260476 Wrote: @Steverae 'This is purely a wife friendly idea to make Kodi more wife friendly'  - that is exactly why I can see the attraction!

To be fair, every 'home-brew' PVR has taken inspiration from the media companies set-top boxes and have come up with their own take. 

Yeah, I have a 'home-brew' PVR box which is the whole reason I wanted to mimic that skin on Kodi, so that when she uses the ATV there is a familiar look to it.

hopefully someone will come forward with a mod to a current skin - at present Im using a combination of SIO2 and TVoS-X as the skin on my ATV which emulates the apple skin near perfectly so at least the jump from TVoS native to kodi is minimised
Anyone want to take up this challenge ?
Too little to design a whole skin on.
(2018-02-27, 12:17)Hitcher Wrote: Too little to design a whole skin on.
 PM sent mate
Managed to track down the mod of Titan that resembles this skin so im happy to play with this and get it working as i want without all the hard coded illegal plugins. Thanks everyone for your help in my quest.

Here are the files :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g76c4blrr1svw8g/skyQ.zip?dl=0

Copy the  "skin.titan.kryptonbeta" folder to your addons folder.
Copy the "skin.titan.kryptonbeta - userdata" folder to your user data\addon_data folder and rename it to "skin.titan.kryptonbeta" 

you'll have to quit and restart kodi then goto my addons\look and feel\skin and enable the skin before use.

Please if anyone is able to expand on this or improve it any, please share.

this is a Mod of Titan by Merlin/Pulse (respect to them guys) 

Come on people - this is an amazing Mod and deserves to be improved with better graphics to make more closely resemble skyQ

Mods - Please merge this with the other SkyQ thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
REQUEST: A skin that replicates the SKY Q skin00