v18 Newest Alpha Builds not Working
Hi,
after trying to update my KODi Alpha "Leia" (x64-version) yesterday to a newer build, I had to realize that obviously all newer builds since beginning of February are not working. The Program starts with a dark blue screen and then closes immediately. First I thought that this would maybe coursed by the use of the old skin "Confluence" - though Confluence runs without any problems with Leia - but this is not the reason. Also the actual skin "Estuary" doesn't work. Whatever happened in the development of KODI V18 - it must have been between February 1st (still working) and February 7th (not working). My system: Windows 10 Pro (Insider Preview) Development Build 17074.1000 (x64).
You need to upload a full debug log_file (wiki) to a text site like pastebin.  Since you can't get into Kodi, you need to use the "advanced method" (advancedsettings file method) to force debug on.  Note that I run the 180220 x64 nightly on both Win 7 and Win 8.1 systems without error.

Since you are on windows I recommend installing a nightly to its own folder and running in portable mode to ensure the install is perfectly "clean".  Don't try to update a working Kodi until you are happy with the portable install.

scott s.
Quote:Since you are on windows I recommend installing a nightly to its own folder and running in portable mode to ensure the install is perfectly "clean".
And how? The only files offered as nightly are - beneath UWP-apps from Microsoft store - installers, no portables. Besides: Even if the portable should be running, there is no guarantee that the same will be the case with an installed version - in case if the registry entries should be set wrong. But now here ist the link to the log:  KODI log file . As expected Kodi crashed again with the newest nightly. Now I am back to the working version.
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...table_Mode
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I looked at your log.  I don't know much about video but I see that
Code:
NOTICE: Found screen: AOC 2770G4 on Microsoft Basic Display Driver, adapter 0.
and when Kodi attempts to start the graphics 
Code:
ERROR: DX::DeviceResources::CreateDeviceResources: unable to create hardware device, trying to create WARP devices then.
FATAL: DX::DeviceResources::CreateDeviceResources: unable to create WARP device. Rendering in not possible.

which seems like the problem. Is there no driver available for your GPU?

scott s.
If there would be no driver, I wouldn't see anything on my monitor. By the way, in my AppData-Folder there is also a file called "kodi_crashlog-18.0-ALPHA1 Git_20180225-e871d73db8-20180226-180325.dmp". Would be this helpfull? But than I would need an Emailadress to send it to your team.
Although your MS driver is sufficient for windows, it's not enough for Kodi to launch. If there is a hardware specific driver available, by all means, install that. A Crash log is useful to a developer, and you would be provided with instructions; but in this case, it's obviously a video driver issue. Suggestion, revert to a Kodi iteration that does work for your set-up until we have ironed out the new Alpha and as suggested a portable install will make experimentation so much easier.
By the way, there is a problem with my graphics. H265-codec is not supported by my graphics, the only way to play this is using the new VLC 3.0. The new VLC plays those videos inside the player.

But this means that the developers of KODI changed someting in the recent past to adress the graphics. Though I am using the insider preview of Windows 10, there was no new version since the beginning of february. The change must have been in KODI.
There is no way to get another driver for Windows 10. Because both graphic vendors - NVIDIA and AMD - don't make own drivers available on their websites since Windows 8, those are only delivered with windows update. And Windows of course says that my driver is actual.
So what is this then http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverR...1510/en-uk
I have installed the actual version of catalyst control center (AMD graphics). After setup and trying to update the Windows device manager shows still the old details: Date of driver Aug.08, 2015, version 15.200.1062.1004, signature Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility.
I suppose following: I am working with a build which is fine, although it is not the newest one. Because the elder builds are working and the newer not - which is still a little bit strange to me - I will wait until perhaps there is another future build working with my windows. I am expecting a new Windows 10 insider preview build coming soon, perhaps this solves the problem.
Perhaps you should consider not running Windows 10 Preview builds on 5 year old hardware, as that could be a cause of the issue.
No, my hardware is not so old - 3 1/4 years. But the problem has solved. I just installed the new Alpha1 - and this build is running perfect.
What I meant before was that running alpha software on a beta OS version with hardware that no longer gets driver updates may increase the risk of a problem being encountered, anyway it's great it got sorted for you by a newer Kodi build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newest Alpha Builds not Working0