Solved prevent xscreensaver when Kodi runs?
Hi,
Is there any way to prevent switching on  xscreensaver when Kodi is playing?
In my system (Ubuntu 17.10) during Kodi's playback every 10min screensaver is switched on. It is annoying when you play video.
Quick Google research tells me that there is solution for a Arch Linux:
https://github.com/graysky2/kodi-prevent-xscreensaver
But what about Ubuntu and other distros?
Regards,
B
Depends on how you start kodi. If you run it in a desktop environment, disable dpms / screensaver in there. For example if you start it with openbox's autostart: xset -dpms before kodi command will disable that
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
You can install (from zip) this addon: https://sourceforge.net/projects/osscreensavermanager .  It will disable screen saver while Kodi is running and re-enable it when Kodi exits.
(2018-02-25, 11:12)openhs Wrote: You can install (from zip) this addon: https://sourceforge.net/projects/osscreensavermanager .  It will disable screen saver while Kodi is running and re-enable it when Kodi exits.
 Thanks,
Very useful addon.
It seems to be working properly with testing Kodi18. :-)
Regards,
(2018-02-25, 11:12)openhs Wrote: You can install (from zip) this addon: https://sourceforge.net/projects/osscreensavermanager .  It will disable screen saver while Kodi is running and re-enable it when Kodi exits.

Hi,
I can't use this great addon in KODI 19.0 ANYMORE . IT is probably new addons standards which old addon doesn't support. Could you please update it or give me information how to deal with prevention  screensaver in the newest KODI and Ubuntu.
TIA
(2018-02-24, 22:45)bernid Wrote: Hi,
In my system (Ubuntu 17.10) during Kodi's playback every 10min screensaver is switched on. It is annoying when you play video.
Regards,
B

You can run that script on any distro.  I should modify the readme to make clear it's for the use case of running as your user.  I recommend the systemd service with an unprivileged kodi user method.  In which case, no xscreensaver at all.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
(2019-10-06, 14:06)graysky Wrote:
Regards,
B

You can run that script on any distro.  I should modify the readme to make clear it's for the use case of running as your user.  I recommend the systemd service with an unprivileged kodi user method.  In which case, no xscreensaver at all.  
Thank you very much but I get used to Kodi oddon 'OS Screen Saver Manager'.
Fortunately the author was so kind and updated his addon to rev 1.0.0 (support for Kodi 19.x)
Regards, 
B
(2019-10-09, 22:09)bernid Wrote:
(2019-10-06, 14:06)graysky Wrote:
Regards,
B

Fortunately the author was so kind and updated his addon to rev 1.0.0 (support for Kodi 19.x)
Regards, 
Hi,
I don't know if I am getting something wrong - but neither of the two solutions suggested here work for me. Both the Kodi addon "OS Screensaver Manager" and Graysky's kodi-prevent-xscreensaver don't seem to make any difference. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with Kodi from Debian 17.6. Any help would be gratefully received.
(2020-05-11, 18:38)atomicecho Wrote:
(2019-10-06, 14:06)graysky Wrote: You can run that script on any distro.  I should modify the readme to make clear it's for the use case of running as your user.  I recommend the systemd service with an unprivileged kodi user method.  In which case, no xscreensaver at all.   
Regards, 
B  
Hi,
I don't know if I am getting something wrong - but neither of the two solutions suggested here work for me. Both the Kodi addon "OS Screensaver Manager" and Graysky's kodi-prevent-xscreensaver don't seem to make any difference. I am running Ubuntu 18.04 with Kodi from Debian 17.6. Any help would be gratefully received. 
My script looks for kodi-x11... is that the executable your system runs?  Post the output of ps aux | grep kodi
(2020-05-11, 19:48)graysky Wrote:
(2020-05-11, 18:38)atomicecho Wrote:
Hi,
My script looks for kodi-x11... is that the executable your system runs?  Post the output of ps aux | grep kodi 
The output I get is:
atomicecho     1627  0.0  0.0  19988  3212 tty1     S+   17:21   0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/kodi-prevent-xscreensaver
atomicecho     6096  0.0  0.0  21532  1052 pts/0    S+   19:32   0:00 grep --color=auto kodi

I'm relatively new to Linux - so I don't know what that means! Does it help? Thanks
You'll need to repeat the command when you have kodi running...
(2020-05-11, 20:56)graysky Wrote: You'll need to repeat the command when you have kodi running...

Oh sorry!
Here it is:
simon     1627  0.0  0.0  19988  3212 tty1     S+   17:21   0:00 /bin/bash /usr/bin/kodi-prevent-xscreensaver
simon     7500  0.0  0.0   4624   784 tty1     S+   20:38   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/kodi
simon     7504 17.8  1.8 3259240 145216 tty1   Sl+  20:38   0:03 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi.bin
root      7596  0.0  0.0  72712  4224 tty1     S+   20:38   0:00 sudo /usr/sbin/openvpn /home/simon/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/IVPN/Sweden (UDP).ovpn
root      7597  0.3  0.0  44516  7072 tty1     S+   20:38   0:00 /usr/sbin/openvpn /home/simon/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/IVPN/Sweden (UDP).ovpn
simon     7720  0.0  0.0  21532   972 pts/0    R+   20:38   0:00 grep --color=auto kodi

BTW - One of the main reasons I want this is because I enjoy your ATV scripts for xscreensaver - so let me just take this opportunity to thank you for your work on that.
So the issue is that the script expects to find "kodi-x11" but that isn't running on your system. There is an entry for "kodi.bin" running so just change "kodi-x11" in the script to "kodi.bin" and it should work.  First kill the script though.

killall kodi-prevent-xscreensaver
(2020-05-11, 22:55)graysky Wrote: So the issue is that the script expects to find "kodi-x11" but that isn't running on your system. There is an entry for "kodi.bin" running so just change "kodi-x11" in the script to "kodi.bin" and it should work.  First kill the script though.

killall kodi-prevent-xscreensaver
That worked a treat! Thanks so much for writing the script in the first place and your help with it.
Enjoy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
prevent xscreensaver when Kodi runs?0