My audio system and options I would like
A system option for keep sound device active unless a video/movie/tv show is started would still be welcome either way (i.e. older DACs and DD processors like my Technics one I use in a formerly high-end analog only music system that now also is used for TV shows and the occasional movie can't LOCK a signal instantly and so they STILL get blasts of non-decoded Dolby Digital for a second until the DD LOCKS if the sound device is set to "always on" yet if it's set to turn off then the first second of music gets cut off every time.  The IEC packing does not solve this issue for older decoders because of the lock lag.  It always had the same problem for music even with CDs, but a check before a video starts playing to see if it is a video or just music and turning off the sound device momentarily (as if that option were selected) if it's a video would solve the problem once and for all and still allow music to start instantly (always on otherwise).  I'd love to see that option added to the list for the sound device, but mentioning it in two other threads just got silence.  I'm guessing since it only affects older equipment (which still being used is usually high-end equipment or used with high-end equipment for a reason like keeping an all analog pre-amp while allowing surround use) it really doesn't interest any of the developers. 

Newer equipment generally locks almost instantly (like my home theater receiver) and thus either setting (always on or always off or with an x minute delay tends to work anyway) and so it's not an issue with newer receivers, etc.  I'm not going to give up my Carver Sonic Holography pre-amp on my higher-end music system, however.  It's bi-amped anyway (Carver AL-III ribbons) with two large power amps and a custom active crossover, so a receiver is largely pointless anyway.  I use active Klipsch THX speakers for surround from the Technics unit.  I have my AppleTV Gen2 plugged in to the pre-amp via a separate external DAC that's newer/faster so I can use it instead for music, but I like the KODI interface better and flexibility to play more than just a few formats and organize into directories, etc. if desired (ATV lumps everything into the iTunes library).  They generally don't make newer DD stand-alone units anymore and hence I'm using an older Technics unit to add surround flexibility for TV and occasional movies (tied to a 48" plasma; I use a 93" screen with an Epson 3100 3D projector on the main home theater with a 7.1 receiver there).  The "always on" option works best for music (so I don't lose the first second when it starts) and "always off" works best for movies (so I don't get a blast of un-decoded Dolby Digital through the speakers until the Technics 'locks' the signal and recognizes it's Dolby Digital.  Thus, an option to check whether it's starting a video and then turning off the audio device momentarily but otherwise leaving it on for music would be ideal.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2018-02-23, 23:50)VonMagnum Wrote: ...but mentioning it in two other threads just got silence...
Strangely silence is also the response that kind of post is going to get from me too.

EDIT: Second thoughts I don't know what the post has to do with v18 stability, so splitting into own thread. @VonMagnum edit the title of your post if I have not summarized it accurately
(2018-02-24, 00:40)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2018-02-23, 23:50)VonMagnum Wrote: ...but mentioning it in two other threads just got silence...
Strangely silence is also the response that kind of post is going to get from me too.  
 I'll try and pretend I'm shocked.  Shocked
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My audio system and options I would like0