Win Video causes system to reboot
Hi all,
I have a mini-PC running Windows 10 and Kodi 17.6. For a couple of years, I had attached that box to my TV via VGA and "headphone" 1/8" audio cable and everything was OK. I used that setup because both of the HDMI ports on the TV were not functional. I would sometimes run in to audio issues. So, I have a small TV with the same connection as well as a working HDMI port. Whenever I would have issues with the Kodi box on the "big" TV, I would break out the "small" TV to see if I could replicate the issue. Oddly enough, it seems that simply connecting the HDMI to the small TV resolved the audio issue with Kodi. (Yes, the issue was with Kodi, because I could play Netflix without issues on the same box).

Now to my new problem. I bought a new TV that doesn't have the VGA/audio in connection I had with the old TV. But, I now have functional HDMI ports. Yay! Right? Well, now whenever I try to play any video from within Kodi, whether it is streaming or a locally stored video, the computer reboots. I tried the old trick of connecting the small TV to my Kodi box and the problem remains even with the small TV. So, I'm thinking that there's some sort of setting or tweak that I'm missing either within Kodi or in Windows that is causing the issue. There's also a chance that it's a setting in the TV, but I'm not sure what. I tried all 3 settings on the TV for CEC and the problem remains. I have a laptop that also has Kodi (Win 7 Pro) that I connected to the same HDMI port on the TV via the same HDMI cable (yes, I switched out the cable and both HDMI ports during testing and it made no difference) and while the video plays fine on that machine connected to the TV, there is no audio output to the TV. I can hear the audio coming out of the laptop speakers, but it doesn't get pushed out to the TV.

So, again, I'm leaning toward settings either on the TV and/or within Kodi/Windows being the culprit. I just don't have the AV knowledge to troubleshoot it any further.
" any video from within Kodi, whether it is streaming or a locally stored video, the computer reboots. " That's a new one to me, and to try different displays with the same result, points back at your PC for the shutdown/reboot (note was it a proper shutdown or just bang?). Looking at Kodi, if the shutdown timer is active.. then a proper shutdown will take place if the settings allow for it (settings>system>powersaving) otherwise some PC component might be overheating. 

As of Kodi 17 HDMI is in exclusive mode, set-up for Directsound option Audio (wiki) check https://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_troubleshooting and https://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_quickstart_guide
Thanks for the reply, Pat. To answer your question, it's just a "bang" as opposed to a proper shutdown.

I am going to contact the machine manufacturer just to see if there's some kooky setting for the HDMI port. Although, it seems odd to me that the HDMI worked fine with the small TV previously.
OK, that bang smarks of a hardware issue (bad memory, CPU overheat, or some weirdness that when Kodi is executed the full system is brought to bare, it stumbles) Might be worth while bringing in a few windows diagnosis programs and a few stress tests.
Any recommendations for Win Diags or stress tests?
OK, so, there appears to be a new wrinkle to the puzzle. On a whim, I removed the Intel Display adapter from Device Manager and rebooted. When the unit powered back up, I hear the chimes indicating that Windows had found new hardware. When I opened Kodi, it was in Window mode instead of full screen. Not a huge deal, because it was in a window that pretty much took up the whole screen. I tried to play a local video file and it worked like a charm. As soon as I hit the \ key to switch to Full Screen, the display died. Rebooted the machine, started Kodi, switched back to Window mode, video plays perfectly.
Sounds like you had a broken video driver.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video causes system to reboot0