Confusion about installing KODI 15.2 on ATV 1
Good day all,

My apologies if there's already a good instruction page on how to do this, but I can't seem to find this anywhere.

I have this specific request; I want to install KODI 15.2 on my Apple TV 1 using OpenElec or LibreElec (not OSMC), by creating a bootable USB stick using Windows. Several links in threads and the KODI wiki that tell me how to do this are gone now and give me a 404 error, for example http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv/  and the KODI wiki . Also, none of the links in <removed_by_DaVu> work anymore

I know there are Downloads sections at the KODI and OpenElec websites but I'm not sure which image files to choose to create a bootable USB stick using Windows for my ATV 1 to install KODI 15.2. I don't want OSMC since it is very slow on my ATV 1. 

Which KODI 15.2 and/or OpenElec/LibreElec image files do I need to do this?
Please don't link to forums which have repositories on our banned list. I removed the link above as it's not related to your problem

To answer your question.

There was never something officially done to get Kodi on a ATV1. I know it's a bit sad as it's not the worst device. But as for the reason ppl don't want to spend their time on a hardware which is now about 11 years old and there's much better hardware for a cheaper price around, there's unfortunately nothing we can do for you.

I don't know of any maintained ATV1 build anymore. And using an outdated Kodi on such an old device won't get you any further as well, I think. A RPi3 could do a similar job, needs less power, is available and most of the distros for it are pretty well maintained.
(2018-03-03, 16:39)DaVu Wrote: Please don't link to forums which have repositories on our banned list. I removed the link above as it's not related to your problem

To answer your question.

There was never something officially done to get Kodi on a ATV1. I know it's a bit sad as it's not the worst device. But as for the reason ppl don't want to spend their time on a hardware which is now about 11 years old and there's much better hardware for a cheaper price around, there's unfortunately nothing we can do for you.

I don't know of any maintained ATV1 build anymore. And using an outdated Kodi on such an old device won't get you any further as well, I think. A RPi3 could do a similar job, needs less power, is available and most of the distros for it are pretty well maintained.
I did not know these links contained illegal repositories, apologies for that.

Thanks for your info. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading a bit I found out that I'd need an image file of OpenElec 6.0.1 to install Kodi 15.2 on ATV 1. I can't find that file anywhere. Judging from your reply, does this mean that that there is no website where I can get the OpenElec 6.0.1 .img file?
It's not only the OpenELEC version. OE 6.0.1 was available for different kind of hardware. There was a site archive.openelec.tv where you have been able to download older releases. Obviously that doesn't exist anymore as well. 

So, yeah...what should I say?! Looks like that's the end of support for embedded systems on your ATV1 unfortunately.
(2018-03-04, 00:22)DaVu Wrote: It's not only the OpenELEC version. OE 6.0.1 was available for different kind of hardware. There was a site archive.openelec.tv where you have been able to download older releases. Obviously that doesn't exist anymore as well. 

So, yeah...what should I say?! Looks like that's the end of support for embedded systems on your ATV1 unfortunately.
 Good news, someone at reddit helped me find the link: http://chewitt.libreelec.tv/appletv/
Oh, didn't know that was located under LibreELECs pages. 

Be aware that different things might be broken. Things which come in my mind are scrapers and their api keys which won't be updated, I guess.
OE no longer hosts the binary add-ons for that image, and I didn't update them in 2+ years so (as DaVu pointed out) some things may work, others not. If you install you need to create a hosts.conf entry to my LE team-space where a mirror of the addon files are still hosted, e.g.

Code:
echo "138.68.75.163   addons.openelec.tv" >> /storage/.config/hosts.conf

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=313407 is the spiritual successor to my image
I realize that this is most definitely an old post, and maybe just maybe someone else out there with the same questions that I had might see this post and find my response. I am currently putting together a website called Technology Archive. My mission is to provide support (all available software, guides with workarounds, *hardware tweaks, etc...) to older devices that might have had support dropped. I am currently searching high and low through the internet for all available operating systems for the ATV 1st Gen. Like I said, im planning to backup and save these older versions for anyone out there that might want one of these for being a media-head / media-client for their home. I am hopping that with my knowledge combined with a vast archive of multiple operating systems that I can put together essentially an end-of-life support system for older devices such as the ATV.  FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR MY WEBSITE, PLEASE CHECK OUT technologyarchive.webs.com

Im so glad that you posted this here chewitt. Ive been looking for your page with your own versions of OpenELEC on them, and didnt realize that it had moved to a new site. If you have any, and I mean any, older versions of OpenELEC or Crystalbuntu for the ATV saved away somewhere then please get in contact with me. My email is [email protected]

again, idk if you will see this but I do hope that you get in contact with me at some point.

Thanks,
Andrew
I have copies of the OE releases from 5.0.8 onwards here https://chewitt.libreelec.tv/archive but I ask/request that you link directly to the original files instead of rehosting untrusted files from a mega share that require decryption keys to access.
definitely understandable. I do have links to the originals on my site (i will make sure that they are more easily seen) as well as website backups that i do intend to add (already have the links, just haven't uploaded the website backup files). Im looking into a safer, better storage system than mega and those others i added. Looking at pottentially github or dropbox as ive never had a problem using those in the past. Again thanks for the help, I decided to do this now because there are a few operating systems that could be run on the ATV that i cant get anymore. I do understand that safety is of the upmost importance especially in the tech world, and i will make sure to fix that soon.

Again i do apologize if i have offended you, that is not my intention. I am simply just trying to help preserve history by making sure that these files are not lost to history

Thanks,
Andrew

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confusion about installing KODI 15.2 on ATV 10