• 1(current)
SMB/Samba File Sharing Discussion (SMB support now available)
UPDATE 28/03/2018
An update with SMB support will be available soon in the Store for accounts which participate to receive test builds.
To enable SMB support need receive the last test build and enable vfs.smb2 addon.

Note - As SMB/Samba support was not initially available this thread contains history from before the vfs.smb2 addon being available. Support was introduced from https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2719607
(2017-12-29, 22:36)Martijn Wrote: Thank you for the positive responses. We'll push out new versions once fixes have been added.
 I know you cant promise anything, but is SMB support something the team would like to accomplish?  Also regarding advancedsettings.xml any thoughts/insight on how that might be accomplished?  Its something Ive wondered since UWP/Xbox One was first speculated on almost a year ago.
We have a possible solution in mind for restoring smb but it’s far from being straightforward due to UWP limitions so we can’t promise any timescale, all platforms capable of providing shares should be able to do both smb and nfs so shouldn’t be a major issue short term. As for Advancedsettings.xml you should be able to access Userdata location via the built in Kodi file manager, so you could copy an Advancedsettings.xml from a nfs share.
How high up is enabling smb sharing on your to do list for this app and will it be compatible with smb V2 and up. I have smb v1 disabled so that's not an option for me. Thanks.
(2018-01-11, 21:08)Jachin99 Wrote: How high up is enabling smb sharing on your to do list for this app and will it be compatible with smb V2 and up. I have smb v1 disabled so that's not an option for me. Thanks.

Microsoft do not provide for smb support to UWP apps, therefore we need to find a 3rd party solution to provide the smb functionality. There is a solution we could get working but that would provide smb1 only, however there is an alternative solution that would provide smb2/3, but getting that working within the restrictions applied to UWP apps is a lot more complex and it is not certain we’ll succeed. So the whole reason for the delay is the desire to get the smb2/3 solution working.
Could the SMB1 only solution be implemented until SMB2/3 is figured out or is it too much work/time intensive to accomplish?  Everything else in my house is running on SMB and its a shared database.  Id rather not switch everything over as SMB is a lot easier to work with.
(2018-01-12, 00:17)thesuffering Wrote: Could the SMB1 only solution be implemented until SMB2/3 is figured out or is it too much work/time intensive to accomplish?  Everything else in my house is running on SMB and its a shared database.  Id rather not switch everything over as SMB is a lot easier to work with.

It's not that simple, the solutions are provided by 3rd party software libraries, each solution would require an entirely different software library to be used. The advantage of using the software library which provides smb2/3 is that this could be used on all platforms we support thus providing a common code base between Android, Linux, OS-X etc. Using the software library that only provides smb1 would likely have to a UWP only solution, thus we would have the burden of having to support 2 different software libraries, since we would likely use the smb2/3 solution on Android, Linux etc, and I don't see this being an acceptable way forward to the Team.
Wouldn't it be in MS or 3rd party libraries best interest to add SMB 2/3 at some point ?
(2018-01-12, 12:13)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2018-01-12, 00:17)thesuffering Wrote: Could the SMB1 only solution be implemented until SMB2/3 is figured out or is it too much work/time intensive to accomplish?  Everything else in my house is running on SMB and its a shared database.  Id rather not switch everything over as SMB is a lot easier to work with.

It's not that simple, the solutions are provided by 3rd party software libraries, each solution would require an entirely different software library to be used. The advantage of using the software library which provides smb2/3 is that this could be used on all platforms we support thus providing a common code base between Android, Linux, OS-X etc. Using the software library that only provides smb1 would likely have to a UWP only solution, thus we would have the burden of having to support 2 different software libraries, since we would likely use the smb2/3 solution on Android, Linux etc, and I don't see this being an acceptable way forward to the Team. 
Makes sense.  Thank you for taking the time to write out an easy to understand explanation.  Fingers crossed for the SMB2/3 solution.
Hi, cant you just use the "smb code" from VLC Media Player? 
I have my external 3TB HDD with my Media stuff connected to my Fritzbox Router and use smb to connect all my devices (2x Win 10 PC´s, 1 Linux Mint PC, Raspberry Pi2, 2x Smart TV´s, Xbox and Smartphone).
With the VLC Media Player App on my Xbox One X I can use SMB to connect it to my HDD thats on my Fritzbox and watch my movies from there.
VLC is open source so cant you just take the smb code and use it ? Its just a question.
A big thanks to you guys to bring Kodi to the Xbox One. Great work !
(2018-02-17, 12:52)High-Zung Wrote: Hi, cant you just use the "smb code" from VLC Media Player? 

Yes we can and it works (I've tested) but it supports SMBv1 only. We want to implement SMB2/3 support based at libsmb2 but it requires krb5 lib compiling for UWP platfrom what isn't simple to do.
(2018-02-17, 14:05)afedchin Wrote: Yes we can and it works (I've tested) but it supports SMBv1 only. We want to implement SMB2/3 support based at libsmb2 but it requires krb5 lib compiling for UWP platfrom what isn't simple to do.

Please stay on that Road!
There is no use of SMBv1 anymore.
(2018-02-17, 14:05)afedchin Wrote:
(2018-02-17, 12:52)High-Zung Wrote: Hi, cant you just use the "smb code" from VLC Media Player? 

Yes we can and it works (I've tested) but it supports SMBv1 only. We want to implement SMB2/3 support based at libsmb2 but it requires krb5 lib compiling for UWP platfrom what isn't simple to do. 
 Ok, thanks for your answer. Very informative.
(2018-02-17, 14:05)afedchin Wrote:

Thx for your explication ! 

And for bitstream (pathrought), any news ?
(2018-02-17, 14:05)afedchin Wrote: Yes we can and it works (I've tested) but it supports SMBv1 only. We want to implement SMB2/3 support based at libsmb2 but it requires krb5 lib compiling for UWP platfrom what isn't simple to do.

Hey Afedchin,

Ronnie Sahlberg (the developer of libnfs and libsmb2) approached me yesterday. He has removed the hard dependency to krb5 for libsmb2 so there is no need to figure this out for UWP. It only supports username/password authentification without krb5 but that should be enough for us imo.

I‘ll pass you his contact and the mail with that info. He is the perfect open source spirit in person and whenever you need help with any of his libs or changes he is more then responsive Smile
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB/Samba File Sharing Discussion (SMB support now available)1