Solidrun CuBox Pulse (i.MX8)
This looks interesting...

Website
https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/cubox-pulse/
Quote:The smallest computer in the world – Just Got Better!

Prepare to fall in love with CuBox Pulse. It’s elegant, it’s powerful, it’s silent and it’s tiny – at only 2″ x 2″ x 2″. CuBox Pulse is the perfect home entertainment device with the highest standard of visual resolution support, including 4K UltraHD @60Hz, Dolby Vision and full HDR.We’ve packed so many features into the CuBox Pulse, it’s so easy to turn any screen into a smart TV or online streamer. This tiny multimedia powerhouse is also the perfect device for digital signage and a wide variety of audio and visual centric Internet of Things solutions.
Price
From $170.00

Specifications
https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/cub...fications/
Quote:i.MX8M Dual/Quad core ARM Cortex A53 up to 1.5Ghz (with ARM M4 GPP)
up to 4GB LPDDR4
MicroSD
eMMC
2 x USB 3.0
1 x HDMI 2.0
1 x RJ45
Power on button
Indication LEDs
RTC
IR receiver

Linux Kernel 4.4x, Android
12V input DC jack
PoE sink support
5 x 5 x 5cm
Cube shaped plastic enclosure
Nice closeup pic, its tiny!

Looks to be the same form factor as the previous Solidrun Cubox and Cubox-i models (Sam marketed a version of the Cubox-i as the original Vero ISTR)
It is something that has caught the eye of Team members as it can do pretty much everything you'd want from an SoC for a media device, however it will need work to get hardware decode working but NXP normally have very good documentation (probably the best of any SoC manufacturer) so if we can a sample to the right person to implement hardware decode then it should make for a very good device for Kodi. I am led to believe we have already put out feelers to see if we can get any hardware samples, however there is currently no commitment from anyone to provide us with these.
Just be aware there is currently no video playback software I know of that can play Dolby Vision UHD full disc rips.
There was a discussion about this with the DV capable MINIX U9 over HERE (click)

Wow why so expensive?
(2018-03-05, 17:26)Pienoet Wrote: Wow why so expensive?
 Full system I guess, its cheape and much smaller than the current "best of device" nVidia Shield.
If the i.MX6 anything to go by then NXP will provide support for a few years, unlike the cheap Chinese Soc manufacturers where you'd be lucky to get anything more than 12 months support before they move all effort onto their next latest & greatest.

If you want a quality product with continued support then expect to pay for it. For your $30 cheap Chinese piece of crap don't expect any software updates or any other after sales support.
3D MVC Support?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I would advise people looking for a new system to stay away from I.mx8 for now. It will probably need a year to mature.

Currently there is limited support in the mainline kernel and mesa. There is no hardware video decoding driver (v4l2) as of yet either.

I really look forward to this SOC but it is going to take a bit of time to get full support.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
On the fence for a week. Purchased the Cubox Pulse this weekend. Hopefully, SR provide solid (no pun intended!) support for this thing!  For now, guess I'll watch this thread to see if others post about their experience with Kodi on the Cubox Pulse.
It’s says 1,5 ghz cpu and 4gb ram but if i go to shop you can only buy 1,3 ghz and 2gb ram?
(2018-03-06, 00:41)lrusak Wrote: I would advise people looking for a new system to stay away from I.mx8 for now. It will probably need a year to mature.

Currently there is limited support in the mainline kernel and mesa. There is no hardware video decoding driver (v4l2) as of yet either.

I really look forward to this SOC but it is going to take a bit of time to get full support.
What is your advice now, after 9 months ?
(2018-12-31, 00:29)Luke Cage Wrote:
(2018-03-06, 00:41)lrusak Wrote: I would advise people looking for a new system to stay away from I.mx8 for now. It will probably need a year to mature.

What is your advice now, after 9 months ? 
 Same advice. Give it another year.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2019-01-02, 19:28)lrusak Wrote:  Same advice. Give it another year. 
OK, then the quest continues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Solidrun CuBox Pulse (i.MX8)0