Difference between kodi and kodi --standalone? Both launch without a WM.
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before. A little background:
Installing kodi on Ubuntu server. By the time I've installed all the required packages (xorg, xinit, etc.) I can launch either kodi OR kodi --standalone. I have no window manager installed, just plain X.

So my question is what is the difference? Why not just launch Kodi without the wrapper script "kodi-standalone" or the --standalone switch? What does --standalone provide?

EDIT just to be clear, I have NO window manager installed. I was under the impression that kodi was for use with a window manager, and kodi-standalone ( or kodi --standalone) was for use with X, and no WM. Both "kodi" and "kodi-standalone" launch just fine.
Before kodi-standalone you had to edit /etc/inittab, do an automated user login on a console, start X, Consolekit, a dbus-session and start Kodi. Kodi-standalone does this stuff for you and works with systemd.

So, if you want to get Kodi started automatically, when your PC starts, kodi-standalone is what you want to use. No need to start X or get a user session manually.
Running kodi on X11 without a window manager is not a supported screnario. It may work but there might be issues. In case you experience any issues when running without a WM, try with a WM before asking for support.
(2018-03-28, 16:56)FernetMenta Wrote: Running kodi on X11 without a window manager is not a supported screnario.
 Really? I would assume, this should be a standard scenario. If you use Kodi on a HTPC, there's no need to install anything between X and Kodi. It would just extend the boot time and include some more sources of errors.

I'm using this kind of installation for more than 6 years now without any problems.
(2018-03-29, 20:51)musv Wrote:
(2018-03-28, 16:56)FernetMenta Wrote: Running kodi on X11 without a window manager is not a supported screnario.
 Really? I would assume, this should be a standard scenario. If you use Kodi on a HTPC, there's no need to install anything between X and Kodi. It would just extend the boot time and include some more sources of errors.

I'm using this kind of installation for more than 6 years now without any problems. 
 Then you are lucky. Btw. fernetmenta is the guy that implemented the X11 windowing. So I think he means it for real, yes :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between kodi and kodi --standalone? Both launch without a WM.0