IP Scanner in place of "Browse for new share" (SMB) ?
Since the browse for new (SMB) share feature has been shut down by Microsoft, I was wondering if an IP Scanner could be used instead. There are some free IP Scanner programs that work great to find network shares. The one I use on my Windows Desktop is called Advanced IP Scanner.

Also, I was wondering why "Windows network (SMB)" was still on the "Browse for New Share" list inside Kodi.
I am led to believe that if you want network discovery to still work then you set the WINS Master Browser to be a device that does not host any shares, this allows SMB1 to be left enabled but it will only be used for network discovery while the devices hosting the shares only allow connections from SMB2/3 clients. However this is not something I have been able to test for myself to see if it's wrong or right.
It only works if the device you are using actually is the WINS server, and there can only be one of those on the local network at a time.

I used to have things set up nicely with a Pi acting as a WINS server for my whole network, but since Microsoft did their anti-Wannacry thing it doesn't work and I have to set my choice of an actual machine as the WINS server and that's the only one that can see the network machines and their shares under Windows Explorer (except machines in the homegroup, and even then not always).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IP Scanner in place of "Browse for new share" (SMB) ?0