v17 Noticeable compression artifacts after database export
Kodi seems to be compressing my images when I do a database export resulting in very noticeable artifacts. Here's an example: https://imgur.com/a/ntbNb (Image from TVDB versus image stored on my computer after database export). It also seems to export fanart and poster art in a reduced resolution, this is noticeable on my 4K screen.

I want no compression and no resizing. How do I fix this?
https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork#Managing_Artwork

Sect 3.1 & 3.3 should provide the info
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I already had stuff in that file, does this look right to you? I just set them both to 99999 which should ensure images are never touched since it claims it won't resize images less than the set value? Hopefully it doesn't resize everything to 99999p, lol.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <imageres>99999</imageres>
  <fanartres>99999</fanartres>
  <videolibrary>
    <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
    <recentlyaddeditems>28</recentlyaddeditems>
    <importwatchedstate>false</importwatchedstate>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
EDIT: Appears I needed to do a fresh database rebuild and pull all new images before the setting took effect.

Well somethings wrong still, just tested it and it's still resizing 680x1000 posters from TVDB to 490x720. (It might be broken? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=154448)

Tried this as well:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videolibrary>
    <cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
    <recentlyaddeditems>28</recentlyaddeditems>
    <importwatchedstate>false</importwatchedstate>
    <imageres>2160</imageres>
    <fanartres>2160</fanartres>
  </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
That thread you link to is 5 years old. Pretty safe to say it does not apply.

These settings won't take effect on an existing cache. They work on the creation of the cached images, not the export of the cached images. So it is too late and your settings will have no effect as the images have all been modified.

(2018-03-08, 12:44)Tyrindor2 Wrote: Appears I needed to do a fresh database rebuild and pull all new images before the setting took effect.
Does this mean you have re-scraped the artwork from online sources? If yes, can you post a debug log which captures the scraping of the new Artwork. Remove a couple of movies from your library and then re-scrape them.

It is a long time since I played with Artwork cache, but don't recall any issues when I did test them. Only that I discovered the max resolution is 1920x1080, regardless of what setting you but in the advancedsettings.xml file.

I just checked 6 posters in my Thumbnails folder and compared them to the original, locally stored artwork. They match.

If you want locally stored, original sized artwork then use the Texture Cache Maintenance Utility, or use a Media Manager to download your artwork and then Kodi can scrape from local sources. Once you have local artwork, you won't really care what the cache does as you still have all the original artwork.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Since merging PR#13599 Kodi Leia should allow setting resolution in imageres / fanartres to 9999.  When Kodi takes a framegrab of a video for use as thumb it is limited to the lesser of advancedsettings or the actual width of the video frame.

scott s.
ah, thanks @scott967, wasn't aware there was work on removing the 1080 limitation.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noticeable compression artifacts after database export0