No Sound on HD Channels
Just purchased a WinTV-quadHD tuner card to watch my Freeview UK channels on Kodi. No real hassle installing the card or setting up Next-PVR and everything plays fine. However, when using the Kodi PVR client I'm not getting any sound for my HD Channels. I currently have the decoders in Next-PVR set to the same parameters as the default WinTV Software, which I thought would be a safe bet to use.
Other than this, everything works great, fast channel switches, perfect picture quality and guide data all in place.

Does anybody else have this same tuner card or experienced the same issue with no sound for HD Channels?
Any feedback would really help....
Cheers
(2018-03-08, 22:58)Dumyat Wrote: I currently have the decoders in Next-PVR set to the same parameters as the default WinTV Software, which I thought would be a safe bet to use.
The NextPVR decoder settings are only relevant when watching in NextPVR itself. When you're viewing in Kodi, it uses it's own decoders.
(2018-03-08, 23:08)sub3 Wrote:
(2018-03-08, 22:58)Dumyat Wrote: I currently have the decoders in Next-PVR set to the same parameters as the default WinTV Software, which I thought would be a safe bet to use.
The NextPVR decoder settings are only relevant when watching in NextPVR itself. When you're viewing in Kodi, it uses it's own decoders. 
Ok, good to know. So any thoughts on why no sound for HD channels in Kodi then?
Without knowing more about your setup, it's hard to say.  If you have Kodi set to passthrough things like DTS and other 5.1 sound but your reciever/soundbar/whatever doesn't support the format being sent, that could cause you to get no sound with HD programming (which often has more complex sound encoded too).
(2018-03-09, 01:44)pkscout Wrote: Without knowing more about your setup, it's hard to say.  If you have Kodi set to passthrough things like DTS and other 5.1 sound but your reciever/soundbar/whatever doesn't support the format being sent, that could cause you to get no sound with HD programming (which often has more complex sound encoded too).
Thanks, but just using the defaults for my audio output. No passthrough or soundbars etc.
Audio for HD channels work fine when using the NextPVR application, just not in Kodi.
What I'm trying to determine is if the problem is being caused by the NextPVR client or by Kodi itself, so was curious to know if any other users had experienced the same issue with HD Channel playback within Kodi.
(2018-03-09, 13:44)Dumyat Wrote: What I'm trying to determine is if the problem is being caused by the NextPVR client or by Kodi itself, so was curious to know if any other users had experienced the same issue with HD Channel playback within Kodi
If you're getting video, then it'll definitely be on the Kodi side. ie, NextPVR is just sending a copy of the broadcast stream to Kodi, and it is responsible for extracting the audio and video streams and decoding them for display.
(2018-03-09, 20:56)sub3 Wrote:
(2018-03-09, 13:44)Dumyat Wrote: What I'm trying to determine is if the problem is being caused by the NextPVR client or by Kodi itself, so was curious to know if any other users had experienced the same issue with HD Channel playback within Kodi
If you're getting video, then it'll definitely be on the Kodi side. ie, NextPVR is just sending a copy of the broadcast stream to Kodi, and it is responsible for extracting the audio and video streams and decoding them for display.  
Okay, that's great. I'll submit a log and hopefully somebody on the Kodi side will be able to take a peep.
In the meantime, I do have a VU Plus satellite receiver that I can use with Kodi to get my HD Channels, as this hardware seems to work fine, with the exception of some slight buffering when switching channel.....
I'm getting the same - no audio on HD channels when playing live via Kodi 18 (17.x works perfectly).

However, if I record, and then play back in Kodi, it works fine in 18 too! Which is annoying, as I was hoping I could upload a recording somewhere and it be used by for troubleshooting!

I have however made a debug log - I open Kodi, play live TV (with no sound), set it recording, bring up the OSD (which shows "unknown, unknown, 0 bits, 0 Hz" for the audio stream), stop playback, stop recording. Then I navigate to the recordings, and play back this recording, and bring up the OSD, (which shows "FL, FR, unknown, 32 bits, 48000 Hz")

I can replicate this on this machine, plus another Windows 10 based machine in the house.
At last, somebody else with exactly the same problem! I feel your pain, as this is very frustrating.
I was actually beginning  to think I was the only user experiencing this issue.  Yeah, same here when recording, ie playback is fine and has audio. Just no audio when I actually tune into a HD live TV channel to watch. Have also created a debug log here, with details of the problem:-
329417 (thread)

I'm rapidly running out of time for returning this hardware to Amazon and getting a refund, which I don't really want to do if the problem is fixable.
This really needs somebody from Team Kodi to respond/comment.
Have you tried it with Kodi 17.6? As it worked fine for me in 17.6, I think it's a new bug introduced in Kodi 18 - hopefully it's something that will be fixed before the final release!

It looks like someone has already submitted a bug report to Trac which may be similar to this issue.
Think that bug report relates to this post:-
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2718719

A fix was posted a couple of days ago, but reading the latest post it appears the issue is still there.
Haven't tried 17.6, but AFAIK you can't backport from Kodi 18 to 17.6 so would mean removing everything and doing new install for 17.6 which would be a bit of hassle just to see if that version would work....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound on HD Channels0