v18 New TV Tuner Card - No Sound For HD Channels
Hi,
I've just purchased a new TV Tuner card for watching Freeview (UK) Channels on Kodi.
The model of the card is a 'Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD' and everything works fine outside of Kodi, using the default software supplied and also when using the Next-PVR software. However, in Kodi I'm not getting any sound for my HD Channels. I initially set Kodi up to use the Next-PVR Client, but have now also tried using the Media Portal Client which results in exactly the same behaviour, which has led me to conclude the problem is likely to be at the Kodi end.

I set up a test recording last night on one of the HD channels. When playing this recording, I do get some sound, but only appears to be the background music/sound and not any spoken dialogue (if that makes sense).

Current OS: Win7 - 64 Bit
Processor: AMD A10-6800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/g8swEVrw

Having an extra 2 tuners is certainly a bonus, but Freeview also offer 2/3 additional HD channels over Freesat in the UK, which is another reason I specifically targeted this card. Is there any settings that I can adjust to enable sound for my HD Channels?
If you need any further info, then just let me know.

Again, I know you guys are always busy, but any help or feedback would be much appreciated.
Hi there Dumyat,

What backend are you using with your new card? I see almost any pvr addon under the sun installed, but you havent mentioned which backend (not addons) you use. It might help in finding the issue.
Had a look at your debug. Do you use this soundcard? It seems not to be supported:

"STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD" on device "1 - Philips FTV (AMD High Definition Audio Device)" seems to be not supported.

Regards,

Atreyu
For this card I have tried both NextPVR and Mediaportal Clients. SD Channels play fine with audio, but I get only picture for the HD channels.
I currently have a PC connected via HDMI to my TV (Android TV). The soundcard you have mentioned is actually the speakers for my Android TV set, which I do not use. I only use the soundcard and speakers from my PC when using Kodi.

Prior to buying this card, my previous set-up was using the VUPlus/Enigma Client for a VU Plus Solo2 STB and streaming the channels into Kodi on my PC. The HD channels on that device work fine, but they may use a different a audio format/codec to my new card.

Yes, I have looked through the debug, but the many error messages do not mean very much to me I'm afraid.
I don't really want to send the new tuner card back to Amazon, but I may end up having too if the card is only going to do half the job when using it with Kodi.
Aside from the sound incompatibility with a device that is not used i cannot discover anything else failing relating to sound.
Just to clarify further, it might help others willing to investigate to mention your backend (again you mentioned your used clients, to what does your client connect?).
Also, does the problem also occur when using a Kodi stable version ? The alpha version you are running is heavily ‘under construction’ which means anything can break at anytime temporarily.
I have both Next-PVR and Media Portal software/Server installed on my Windows PC.  Both applications are working fine.
Kodi 18 is installed on my Windows PC. I have tried both the Next-PVR and Media Portal PVR Clients in Kodi. Both Clients work and retrieve all the channels from the associated servers, but only SD channels play with both picture and Audio. HD channels only play with picture, but no audio. I guess I could also try setting up windows MCE on my PC and try using the MCE PVR client in Kodi, but I suspect this will also result in the same behaviour in respect of no audio for HD channel playback.

I have not tried this tuner card with Kodi 17.6 as yet. I have a extensive media library in place and would mean un-installing everything, installing Kodi 17.6 just to see if that might work.

What's really frustrating is I am forever seeing forum comments saying 'No Log, no problem' and give as much information as possible so we can fix the problem. I have provided a full and detailed account of the problem, the hardware I'm using, my OS/processor and a full debug log in my OP. Beyond this, what more can I do?

I know you are only trying to offer some assistance which of course I am thankful for, but at the same time it's little disappointing to see such a cloak of silence elsewhere.
If there is no fix, it would be good to get some feedback, so that I can return this hardware and try and seek out an alternative solution.
have you tried using the x-newa client for npvr?
(2018-03-19, 00:12)gromgsxr Wrote: have you tried using the x-newa client for npvr?
Thanks for the tip, but I have since discovered the issue is not confined to just npvr.
I have now tried npvr / Mediaportal and WMC backends, all resulting in the same behaviour, ie SD channels play fine with both video and audio, HD channels I just get video and no audio.
With the amount of backends I've now tried, I can only conclude that the problem is with Kodi not decoding the audio on the HD channels.
You don't say if you have tried fiddling with Kodi Settings/System/Audio.

Or if you have tried changing the audio track in player/settings/audio settings
(2018-03-19, 23:27)donbrew Wrote: You don't say if you have tried fiddling with Settings/System/Audio.
Yes, have tried a whole manner of different audio settings, all with no success.
This problem seems to be widespread - on my RPI3, I have installed Kodi 18 as both LibreELEC and as OSMC and both installations have no sound on HD channels.

I'm using VBox PVR addon - tuner works fine and plays all channels but no sound on any HD channel (AAC).  The non-HD channels and the GUI have normal sound.

Tried numerous versions of Milhouse alphas for LibreELEC and a range of versions of OSMC - it is universal for Kodi 18.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New TV Tuner Card - No Sound For HD Channels1