Remote control XBOX1 Logitech Harmony 900
First, fantastic job! I tried the very first release on XBOX and it was soooo coool launching Kodi first time on XBOX in a "legit way". Yes, been using Kodi (xbmc) for that long. The first version was not really useful from a WAF standpoint but now it feels like you are not that far off from a stable release Smile

So.. as you are closing in on stable I'm slowly preparing to toss my nvidia shield and going all xbox. To control Kodi on the shield I use a Flirc since you cannot disable just visability of BT on it but you have to disable it all together... yes, one big reason to get rid of shield... if I move my flirc to my xbox everything works as expected, but xbox have a ir receiver so I should be able to get everything working without a flirc, just a matter of mapping correct buttons to functions, and that's where I need help.

Since been using flirc I mapped whatever function I wanted using just keyboard shortcuts so I'm kind of out of it how this stuff was done.. I did some reading up on the wiki but I'm not really there yet. What I programmed the flirc to do was basically when I press the Info button on the remote it sends "i" to Kodi and that works great.
Programming using Harmony software I mapped Info button to Info on the xbox one remote that button does nothing, most other stuff kind of work like directions ok button and so on. 
So... is there anyone looking in to making most stuff work by default or are you aiming just for the game pad support?
If the latter, how can I help making a xbox one remote fully supported?
I don't have a xbox, but doesn't the native xbox remote work with Kodi? If so it should be relatively easy to make it working. But the main point I wanted to point out is that Harmony 900 and earlier is at it's last leg as far as support goes. My Harmony contact said it's supposed to end...just about now, meaning you can't program it after support ends. But maybe they are extending it a few months..? It seems there's little information about this on the interwebs.

But it's due "soon". Hope I'm wrong though.
I haven't heard anything about it ending, if so that's sad Sad I would think they'd drop their user an email or soemthing if they take the service down... I have received nothing.

My guess is that any remote you use with an xbox that is designed to work with the xbox will emulate the Xbox One Media Remote in one way or the other just like my Harmony do, this is the settings we should focus on getting right as default, then for personal customization there are the usual ways... but what I'm asking is will this be done? If not how can I make it happen?
Most stuff work, like directions ok and things but there are a few buttons that does nothing... I remeber on Linux or what I was using that you could start a program to get the codes from the remote as they came in to the device and that way program them to the (whatever the name was) file and use them for control, but I find that hard to do on the xbox...
(2018-03-12, 23:39)Soli Wrote: I don't have a xbox, but doesn't the native xbox remote work with Kodi? If so it should be relatively easy to make it working. But the main point I wanted to point out is that Harmony 900 and earlier is at it's last leg as far as support goes. My Harmony contact said it's supposed to end...just about now, meaning you can't program it after support ends. But maybe they are extending it a few months..? It seems there's little information about this on the interwebs.

You're not thinking of the link hub?  It's no secret support for that is ending.  If they were to suddenly - without warning - drop support for all the older remotes there would be an outcry.
Does the keymap addon work? I think it's in the official repo.
(2018-03-13, 00:22)trogggy Wrote:
(2018-03-12, 23:39)Soli Wrote: I don't have a xbox, but doesn't the native xbox remote work with Kodi? If so it should be relatively easy to make it working. But the main point I wanted to point out is that Harmony 900 and earlier is at it's last leg as far as support goes. My Harmony contact said it's supposed to end...just about now, meaning you can't program it after support ends. But maybe they are extending it a few months..? It seems there's little information about this on the interwebs.

You're not thinking of the link hub?  It's no secret support for that is ending.  If they were to suddenly - without warning - drop support for all the older remotes there would be an outcry.

Well, I'm not disagreeing. But they contacted me out of the blue, wanting to replace my Harmony 900 with an equivalent remote. (Even at this stage I was secretly hoping it would be an Elite because of the RF function in the 900)

Their "internal" warranty period of 1 year starts from the date your remote is first used, irrespective of the physical transaction. Apparently, even though I bought it used, it hadn't previously been used. At first I thought it was someone trying to scam me, espescially seeing they even used Google Forms for registration of my personal details. But it was legit alright, after some 10 days a Harmony Elite arrived at my post office. When trying to use my old 900 with the software, it says it has been disabled because I got a replacement. It still works though, I just can't update it.

All this happened back in oct 2017. My friend which got the other Harmony 900 (I bought two from the same person) wasn't contacted. I asked them why and they said his remote was first activated several years prior so he wasn't eligible for a replacement.
They've already backtracked on plans to brick the Link without compensation:
here
I'd imagine you could multiply the fuss by a factor of 1000 if they suddenly stopped supporting all those remotes people have spent hundreds on over the years.  Though I'm sure they'd like to.
No idea what happened with your remote, but I can't imagine why they'd go about secretly replacing in-warranty older remotes before announcing their fait accompli.  What would be the point?
Or maybe I'm just seeing what I want to, given I have 4 or 5 older harmony remotes kicking about the place.
For the 900 model all they could do is remove the online myharmony support, I very much doubt they could do anything to brick it as the 900 model has no connection to their cloud service, thus it would just carry on working in it's current state with no modifications being possible.
(2018-03-13, 12:22)jjd-uk Wrote: For the 900 model all they could do is remove the online myharmony support, I very much doubt they could do anything to brick it as the 900 model has no connection to their cloud service, thus it would just carry on working in it's current state with no modifications being possible.
 I presumed that's what he meant - obviously they couldn't be bricked unless plugged into a pc, but removing myharmony would take away the whole point of them.  Add a new device (eg change tv) and they become useless.
(2018-03-13, 11:35)trogggy Wrote: They've already backtracked on plans to brick the Link without compensation:
here
I'd imagine you could multiply the fuss by a factor of 1000 if they suddenly stopped supporting all those remotes people have spent hundreds on over the years.  Though I'm sure they'd like to.
No idea what happened with your remote, but I can't imagine why they'd go about secretly replacing in-warranty older remotes before announcing their fait accompli.  What would be the point?
Or maybe I'm just seeing what I want to, given I have 4 or 5 older harmony remotes kicking about the place.
I don't know really. According to Logitech customer service they had been slowly (although I'm not quite sure by what they mean, either it works or it doesn't) phasing out the legacy support since oct.16 2017. They expected it to completely end later [in 2017] or early 2018. Maybe they backtracked after the fuzz with the LINK.
Anyways, the newest product from the legacy period is the 900 and the 1100 if I'm not mistaken, and they probably stopped selling them in 2012 or so? At least 5-6 years ago. What's strange is that Harmony One/One+ is supported in the newer software/service. But they do miss the RF functionality and don't have the color buttons so might not be for everyone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control XBOX1 Logitech Harmony 9000