Strange Intermittent Flickering with Youtube
So i'm having an intermittent problem with Kodi. The intermittent nature obviously makes it difficult to get a debug log, but hopefully someone can give me some pointers. When playing a video, it becomes flickery. Best i can describe it is as though some frames are being played out of order.

I've only experienced this issue with youtube, I've never seen it playing files locally, but i dont queue up large numbers of videos from the local drive. Typically the problem rears its head when i enqueue a youtube playlist (quite often music videos like the UK top 40). At random, some videos will become flickery. I've taken a mobile phone video of the problem and uploaded it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93lkhmocc4fxs2...3.mp4?dl=0

Often if i stop the queue, and play the flickery video again on its own (for instance in order to get a debug log) it will play perfectly.

With a large queue the problem can come and go as it plays each video, but if a video is flickery the problem will remain throughout that video, from start to finish, and will only go away when it switches to the next item in the queue. Sometimes two or three videos in a row will cause the issue.

When a video is flickering, if i bring up the OSD, it also flickers, appearing and disappearing a few times a second.

The system is a Linux box running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, with kernel 4.8.0 and Kodi 17.6, though its been doing this for a while thru various updates. I cant actually remember if it happened on Kodi 16. Its using Intel onboard video from a Pentium G3220.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. I'm going to try my best at getting a debug log now. I guess i'll switch on debugging and leave it on and see if it can capture the issue.

Cheers
Kev
Loaded a 40 track playlist yesterday and left debug mode on for the whole thing... And ofcourse, the problem didnt occur once.

Which is unusual, as it happens most times. Maybe debug mode was affecting it somehow :/
Are you using the proprietary Intel drivers?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2018-03-12, 23:53)speedwell68 Wrote: Are you using the proprietary Intel drivers?

Which ones are those?

@op: post your Debug Log the wall of text only states half the problem :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I can post a debug log, but is a debug log of nothing going wrong actually helpful? If so then i'll do that!

As i explained in the "wall of text", catching the issue with debug mode has proved elusive!
The Intel Microcode drivers.  I had a screen flickering issue with an HTPC I was playing with and after installing those it went away.  No idea if it was the actual fix, but it is worth a try.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Debug log here:
https://pastebin.com/fupmb4cf

As mentioned, the issue didnt actually appear, but maybe it can shed some light?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange Intermittent Flickering with Youtube0